Norton antivirus 2004 (beware)

Me 2. I want to get some use out of this damn software I bought. At the moment it's just sitting on the shelf.

Well I have reinstalled it but disabled archive scanning
Seems to work ok at the moment.

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Well I have reinstalled it but disabled archive scanning
Seems to work ok at the moment.

How did you do that? I can't seem to find it.

Any updates on this from anyone? my subscription runs out this month :(

Some workarounds here. I am holding off using 2004 for now but if your subscription is about to die I see no reason not to get it. I know of many people not having problems (true i know of many having problems to :p)

i've installed norton 2004...and it works no probs, no slow downs or any suspicious activity.

that said, i turn off every single automated feature...if i want to scan my computer for a virus, or a file then i'll do it myself...

thank you very much!

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by doom
Why would avg 7 be any better?

No slow down issues, very little resource usage.

Originally posted by Sexo um pato

that said, i turn off every single automated feature...if i want to scan my computer for a virus, or a file then i'll do it myself...

Without auto-protect your removing a key area of protection, web based virus and scripts. Unless you are blocking scripting in your browser your exposing yourself to silent infection.

Originally posted by Enyo
No slow down issues, very little resource usage.

Without auto-protect your removing a key area of protection, web based virus and scripts. Unless you are blocking scripting in your browser your exposing yourself to silent infection.

i have the latest version of ad shield running, which blocks unwanted scripts...and i scan frequently with ad-aware

however you do raise a good point...but i find that this combination works very well for me, and i have an extremely low infection rate.

ok having read threads on NAV2k4, and reading that if you disable scanning compressed files live it would be fine, I bought it (my subscription was up this month). well at 1st it was ok and most apps and internet was ok. the problem I had was w/ things like 3dmark taking 5mins to load ... disabling of auto protect all together did nothing to speed this up. sadly I have uninstalled and reinstalled 2k3.

I'm surprised that symantic havent took out a patch or something for it yet. Over a month now and I'm still waiting. I've tried the supposed fixes and none of them seem to have worked.

AVG7 & AntiVir Personal Edition.

little to no slow down, very little resources, not a bloated program, and they is free.

I put Mcafee Internet Security 6.0 in and it runs a hell of a lot better than that norton crap ever did ... With all the progs in the suite running it don't use a 10th of the resources, slow the pc nearly as much, or slow the boot up down nearly as much as just nav did alone ... :)

Its funny Ive been running NAV PRO 2004 for over month now with 0 slow down or problems. Mabey im just a lucky one.

Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro Boot Slowdown Solved,.... kinda...

ok,... first of all let me mention that i did have the slowdown and boot problem once i installed NAV 2004.... i was soo pissed,.... then i came accross NORTON ANTISPAM (more like ANTI-$HIT, program sucks).... i installed it and when i booted up the slowdown was gone,... so instead of my pc booting up in 3 mins it only took 30 seconds .... but also let me mention that before i rebooted (after installing anti-spam), i went into NAV 2004 clicked on OPTIONS then chose NAV... then under AUTO-PROTECT (on the left) i went to EXCLUSIONS and added a new exclusion, ... *.JS ... so hopefully you can try the options part first,... if that doesnt work get a trial version of ANTISPAM or something and install it,... then you can remove it,... and your pc should boot up normally.... dont ask me how.... i guess i am just lucky....

RaZoR

Some people here have done the same. Works for some not for others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back