Norton AntiVirus 2002 makes XP hang ?!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Phantom_24, May 20, 2002.

1. Phantom_24

Phantom_24 Guest

Just wondering if any one else was having the problem I've been gracefully dealing with here. Even though it IS a pain in the arse!

When I send e-mail, AFTER Norton is done checking it for viruses, my system hangs for a good solid minute! Preventing me most of the time from clicking ANYTHING on the desktop or windows. Since I've had Norton 2002 almost from the moment I installed XP, this has been going on (october 2001), so I know it's nothing I've screwed up lately!!

And yes I have all the latest updates as well.

;)

2. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Do you really need to check what you send out? I only check what comes in not what I send out, I know what I'm sending isnt' a virus.

3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

I'd have to go with Jewelzz on this, I've noticed alot of problems with norton and it's outgoing scan, just disable outgoing scan since you will most likely know if your sending a virus or not :)

4. Phantom_24

Phantom_24 Guest

Got it....

Thanx folks !!

5. Jamale

Jamale Guest

I have had NAV 2002 with XP and the email scaning is totally proble free. I would oppose to that "You know if you are sending a virus". The modern viruses that mail itself around have their own smtp-engine, and they do the mailing in the background, so how would you know that your machine is sending a virus (NAV should I think detect this activity witout the outgoing mailscanning too, don,t know if it does...).

Maybe it is not NAV that is causing you the problems? Have you checked NAV logs? Maybe it is scanning a large file every time your machine sends a message, and it takes time? NAV does check the mail first and then send it to the email-sending program which sends it.

What I have tested NAV 2002 is the most problem free av-proggie with XP there is.