Norton 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by delta4s, Dec 18, 2002.

1. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

Norton 2003 seems to be slowing up the startup process. Anybody know of any cures ?
    Can we turn off the ccapp.exe and other programs that it initializes safely ?
    Thanks .

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

No, you cannot turn off or disable those services. NIS/NAV need those to function correctly. However, you could give bootVis a try and see if it can optimize your start up.

3. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

I have used BootVis too.Maybe I need to upgrade my Celeron 466 :).

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Christmas.. It is the season.. =)

5. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

you could try turning off options like "scan on run or created" etc.. I usually have mine disabled so it doesn't slow my system down.. I do keep "scan email" running and I scan each file I download to be safe..

I only recommend disabling NAV and options if you keep on top of updates and manual scans.. otherwise for many users it's best to keep NAV at it's default settings to scan as usual..

6. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

Actually, NAV2K3 is a resource hog at shutdown/resume, not startup.

As for the Celeron 466...well, it makes for a nice tree ornament.:happy:

7. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

I do keep updating , but I dont do manual scans regularly.I have done as Robbie recommended , and it does seem to make a
    slight difference (on My PC ! :p )

Lets do a poll on how many users are using processors below 500 MHz for Win XP.

8. Elroy Jetson

Elroy Jetson Little Dipper School

Yes, get AVG AntiVirus for free, it does the same trick as norton, and does not slow you system down!!!

EJ :cool:

9. neonwizard

neonwizard OSNN Addict

@delta4s are you on Xdsl connection to the net? if so go to control panel/network connections/lan& high-speed internet/right click/properties/internet protocol [TCP/IP]/ properties/Use the following IP Address

IP Address: 192.168. 0. 1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255. 0

see if that helps

10. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

I am on a cable connection , sharing a 1 Mbps line. I already have an IP address. If I change that, my connection might not work.
    I havent tried AVG yet, though.

11. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

Maybe I should switch back to NAV 2002 . It worked better than NAV2k3.

12. neonwizard

neonwizard OSNN Addict

This is another IP address that goes on , This IP should be on the Local Area Connection, when you go into network connections it's the second icon on the bottom you use this for, I know it work as I have to do it too and I use norton pro 2002.

13. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

yes I am using the Local Area Connection to share an internet connection and I have already typed an IP address there (192.168.100.x)

14. Singleman593

Singleman593 Guest

you can also try PC BOOSTER.....THIS IS GREAT.
    THE HEIGHTS OF GREAT MEN WERE REACHED AND KEPT...BUT NOT BY SUDDEN FLIGHT.

15. razzler

razzler Guest

disable wia

Had the same problem. Try to disable the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service. It worked for me

16. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

I shifted to AVG before I could try this out, I will try it out when I next install NAV 2k3. Thanks for the hint though, razzler:)

17. roban

roban Guest

Why anyone would want to use NAV is beyond me. AVG does a great job, auto updates has e-mail integration and is not a system hog like NAV. Besides all the rest of its great features it is FREE....FREE. I run the pro edition and the only difference I can see over the FREE one is the interface. If you have NAV especially 2003 on your system or System Jerks 2003 my advice is to GET IT OFF YOUR COMPUTER YOU DON'T NEED IT!