Northbridge

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ice-Freezer, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Ice-Freezer

Ice-Freezer Guest

Anyone cooling their northbridge with water cooler ?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

believe it or not, some motherboards still ship without fans on their northbridge. i'm about to go through my 2nd northbridge fan and am ready to leave it off and it should be fine with only a passive heatsink.

i assume 133 and 166mhz fsb's create more heat in the northbridge than my 100, but something like water-cooling would only be necessary if one is overclocking.. a lot.

... or just wants added peace-of-mind/silence. }:>

3. Wrathchild

Wrathchild OSNN Senior Addict

Can I get away with a heatsink?

Will a tall heatsink suffice? I'm about to replace my second chipset fan. It's going noisy on me, just like the initial one did.

Wrath

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Re: Can I get away with a heatsink?

i'm sure. as long as you have a modest amount of airflow in your case to take the heat away from that heatsink.

btw, i have the same problem replacing noisy/busted chipset fans. i'm going the passive cooling route, too. what's with these things?

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you want to remove the fan, make sure you get a bigger heatsink. An old Socket 7 heatsink can be suitable I heard.

6. MiseryQv2.0

MiseryQv2.0 Guest

If you are already watercooling then adding it would be ok... Otherwise keep the fan...
    The 1st person who grabs that passive HS after having the system running 12mhz over OEM will tell you "you need to cool that Northbridge"...

BTW,,, My 2nd degree burn healed over nicely :D...

7. Wrathchild

Wrathchild OSNN Senior Addict

So far so good

I've had the fan off for 24 hours with no noticable increase in heat. I don't overclock because I don't need to, so I think I'll be ok as is.

Thoughts?