Northbridge

I

Ice-Freezer

Anyone cooling their northbridge with water cooler ?

believe it or not, some motherboards still ship without fans on their northbridge. i'm about to go through my 2nd northbridge fan and am ready to leave it off and it should be fine with only a passive heatsink.

i assume 133 and 166mhz fsb's create more heat in the northbridge than my 100, but something like water-cooling would only be necessary if one is overclocking.. a lot.

... or just wants added peace-of-mind/silence. }:>

Can I get away with a heatsink?

Will a tall heatsink suffice? I'm about to replace my second chipset fan. It's going noisy on me, just like the initial one did.

Wrath

Re: Can I get away with a heatsink?

Originally posted by Wrathchild
Will a tall heatsink suffice? I'm about to replace my second chipset fan. It's going noisy on me, just like the initial one did.
i'm sure. as long as you have a modest amount of airflow in your case to take the heat away from that heatsink.

btw, i have the same problem replacing noisy/busted chipset fans. i'm going the passive cooling route, too. what's with these things?

If you want to remove the fan, make sure you get a bigger heatsink. An old Socket 7 heatsink can be suitable I heard.

If you are already watercooling then adding it would be ok... Otherwise keep the fan...
The 1st person who grabs that passive HS after having the system running 12mhz over OEM will tell you "you need to cool that Northbridge"...

BTW,,, My 2nd degree burn healed over nicely :D...

So far so good

I've had the fan off for 24 hours with no noticable increase in heat. I don't overclock because I don't need to, so I think I'll be ok as is.

Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back