Normal Behaviour?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Hipster Doofus, May 14, 2002.

1. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I've been using XP for about 2 months now & love it. One concern though. In win9x if the system did not shut down correctly or froze, when you resarted scandisc would kick in & check the drive. When this happens in XP the system will restart & load normally, no scandisc, not even after having to hit reset. (which I've only done once) Is this normal XP behaviour?
    ps When the system has restarted I do a manual scandisc & all is OK, no errors. :confused:

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

I take it you changed to NTFS file system when you installed XP.

unlike FAT32, NTFS doesn't need to run scandisk each time it detects a bad shutdown or system crash. It is designed to be more stable than FAT32. If you worry, run a manual scan. :)

3. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Yeah, it's cool. I did the same thing for awhile and then gave up trying to create problems on my ntfs partition... it's proven rock solid [ntfs] up to now. I'm willing to bet if I were running fat32 on my XP installation that it would have been dessimated a while back. Been on the same installation well over 3 months now... getting close to a personal record I think.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

LOL @ 3 Months.... so it ain't just me then :p

damn thing is lucky to boot after 3 months... oh well, tweak it till it breaks.. and then some...

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Yep that would be it, NTFS. Wow, things just keep getting better. :cool: Thanks.

6. Is there a way after upgrading to XP (I had ME) to NTFS?
    without burning down the hard drive and starting new?

7. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

From help and support center:

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

Open Command Prompt.
    In the command prompt window, type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.