Noisy PSU fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gouk, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Gouk

Gouk Guest

How can I fix a noisy Power Supply Unit (PSU) fan.

It sometimes sounds like a diesel engine.

I cannot even access the bearing to it (it is a bearing type fan)

Anyone help?

2. DarrylB

DarrylB Guest

Ive replaced one before, but it was dieing.. First, take the old fan out... Then buy a fan of equal size, if the power isnt the same pin size as the old, find an edge to the Power Supply that isnt welded, using a flathead screwdriver towards the top or wherever, open up just a small spot for the cable. Take the cable all the way down to another power source that will work.

I used it that way---bought a fan from plycon.com that had heatsensing, and it worked great..

:D

3. sparky

sparky OSNN Addict

if you cannot replace the fan or you cant get into it then probably the only thing is to replace the whole psu or you can cut some of the wires inside the psu to make it run at 7 volts instead of 12 this will make the fan run slower, troll the net and you will probably find out how to do it but i think it may be a bit dodgy to say the least anyway here is a site that you can try where you can get a silent psu 300w
    hope this helps you a little bit

http://www.quietpc.com/casefans.html

4. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

let the flies out of your wallet and buy a new power supply. Ussually less than $20. :D

5. Gouk

Gouk Guest

The flies are out :D

Got a new PSU for £15 (300W) and my PC is like a stealth Ninja now ;)

6. DarrylB

DarrylB Guest

its my heatsink that is very loud -- im guessing around 43dbs
    but it runs 105degrees during average use.. (athlon xp1800+)

7. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Im running a Duron 800 here and it seems very quiet :D

im gonna sel the PC im on now to a friend for £600 and get a custom built one from Aria.co.uk

its gonna cost around £800, Athlon XP 1900, 512mb DDR, 80G HDD etc

Gotta save up for the £200 though :)