Noisy Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Capricorn, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

I have been changing my system Case for a Coolermaster one. All appears OK except my Hard Drive activity is noisy although it was quiet before. It is fitted tightly enough, is there anything I am overlooking?

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

It's probably not vibrations due to bad fitting. It all depends on where in the case the disk is and how well the case is insulated for the noise. "Different cases make different sounds" I guess. Nothing to worry about, unless it drives you nuts. :)

3. Capricorn

Thanks, I think it is because I used to have my old case under my desk. The new one I have put on the desk.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If it is a constant noise (not too loud) I wouldn't worry about it but if it is all over the place you better backup just in case.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

there's a chance your harddrive coulda got bumped during the transplant. just to be safe, i'd do a thorough scandisk or, better yet, use a program from the hd manufacturer's website. ibm has DFT, for instance.

if it checks out okay, then it's just a matter of acoustics. }:>

6. Capricorn

I have carried out the Western Digital on line check of my Hard Drive and it tells me that it is working properly, so it must just be that the Hard Drive, on my Cooler Master Case is right behind the Intake Fan Grill, which is right in front of me now that it is on the desk. So the sound of it running is not deadened in any way. I expect I'll get used to it.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yes since the computer is on the desk now that also makes a big difference.