noise solution

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
hey, check out this video about dynamat

I don't build my own machines but if I did I do believe that would eliminate any fan noise

if I had a tower I would open it up and put that stuff in it as soon as I could get my hands on it

if someone tries it give a shout as to how it works

I think the Dynaliner would work pretty well.

I already use foam lining on the sides and base of my Sonata case, and it definitely makes a difference. Combined with low-RPM, high-CFM fans, and passive chipset cooling, I've got something that's pretty much whisper quiet, even with a CPU that's running ~1000 MHz above stock speed. :)

I think the Dynaliner would work pretty well.

I already use foam lining on the sides and base of my Sonata case, and it definitely makes a difference. Combined with low-RPM, high-CFM fans, and passive chipset cooling, I've got something that's pretty much whisper quiet, even with a CPU that's running ~1000 MHz above stock speed. :)
this stuff looks like a huge leap of technology over any foam solution though, doesn't it?

I spent nearly $70 lining the inside of my Chieftec case with Dynamat. All that happened is that the sucker weighs 14 pounds more and runs hotter because the heat can't radiate through the metal anymore, plus my computer isn't much quieter.

Maybe I'll attempt the Dynaliner. It seems like it would make more sense for sound muffling, but the additional or faster fans I'd have to add for cooling might offset the damping benefit.

this stuff looks like a huge leap of technology over any foam solution though, doesn't it?
It would probably make a difference. There have been discussions about Dynamat insulation on the SPCR forums before (it's a great place for this sort of stuff, btw), and a number of folks are using it in combination with some type of acoustic foam with good results.

I spent nearly $70 lining the inside of my Chieftec case with Dynamat. All that happened is that the sucker weighs 14 pounds more and runs hotter because the heat can't radiate through the metal anymore, plus my computer isn't much quieter.

Maybe I'll attempt the Dynaliner. It seems like it would make more sense for sound muffling, but the additional or faster fans I'd have to add for cooling might offset the damping benefit.
ah, so you tried it, I see it wasn't as effective as I would have thought

Grossly over priced at $4-5 dollars a square foot. You get the same effect with good old, cheap sheet cork at a fraction of the price. I've been using cork in my systems for 3-4 years and it kills all the higher frequency fan noises.

All I hear is the sound of the air moving through the front grills which you can't really do much about because of the high air flow required to remove 200-400W from a PC sized volume. That and some reflected sound that works it's way out though the grills.

My wifes case is not corked and is a lot more annoying to sit next to.

PS I heard about cork from an appliance sales man who recommended it around dishwasher enclosures. Attach it with double sided tape, a hot glue gun, etc.

1) Dynamat is over priced. Go to Home Depot and get Ice Shield from the roofing dept, it's the same thing with no logo on it.

2) Petros is right, adding sound dampening material inside a case does nullify the heat exchange properties of the the metal case (anyone with an acrylic case can testify to that).

3) My solutions are slow rpm 120mm fans. My new Yateloon's are awesome. Gaskets to separate the fans/screws from the case are also a good idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back