No sound driver?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by taco89, Oct 28, 2007.

1. taco89

taco89 OSNN One Post Wonder

I have recently reinstalled Windows XP on my eMachines computer and I'm having some trouble with my drivers. First and foremost, I have no sound. When I look under Sound in the Device Manager, I only see:

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

I have tried installing every single driver on the emachines website for my model (W6409), but nothing has worked.

So, any ideas?

Also, under Other Devices, I have a ? with an ! on it for:

PCI Device
    SM Bus Controller

Help please!

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

There's a good chance you'll find your driver by installing the one on this page.

3. taco89

I tried it earlier, and although it installed successfully (I think) I don't notice anything new on my Device Manager.

4. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

in device manager, uninstall the the audio, and reboot. When XP comes back up it should ask for teh driver or else it will install it itself. Make sure your pci card is seated correctly.

5. taco89

Well that's the thing... I can't uninstall what isn't there. I cant do anything but update the codecs/devices under sound and they are already the highest update. And I haven't touched any hardware like pci card.

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Try clicking them individually and going to the option of "I will choose the driver to install" and point it at the folder in which you've unzipped the realtek drivers. Also: do you have a sound card or is it onboard?

7. taco89

It is built into the motherboard. I'll try the manual file installation real quick and edit this post if it works/doesn't work.

EDIT:

When I go to the folder I installed the Realtek driver in (I used this driver) it gives me a few more folders inside called: MSHDQ, Vista, Vista64, WDM.

I didn't find any .inf files under MSHDQ and its folders, and ignored Vista and Vista64 since I have Windows XP Media Center, and under WDM I have all of these:

HDA
    HDA01
    HDA104D
    HDA861A
    HDAApple
    HDACPC
    HDAHP880
    HDAHPBPC
    HDAHDAHPNB
    HDALC
    HDARt
    HDASamsu
    HDX
    HDX01
    HDX104D
    HDX861A
    HDXApple
    HDXCPC
    HDXHP880
    HDXHPBPC
    HDXHPNB
    HDXLC
    HDXRT
    HDXSamsu

I tried to install HDA under my Audio Codec, and it brough up the Realtek driver under Sound, and after restarting there was a ! next to its icon. When I updated it, it apparently updated the Audio codec and erased the Realtek driver.

So.... ?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  8. Psyborg

Psyborg google addict Political User

did you install the chipset drivers first before anything? straight after you installed xp?

9. taco89

The first thing I installed was the wireless driver so I could actually have internet to solve the other problems. After that... I've been working on the sound. So I didn't install the chipset driver first, but out of every driver I've installed, none show up on Device Manager.