No sound driver?

taco89

OSNN Newbie
I have recently reinstalled Windows XP on my eMachines computer and I'm having some trouble with my drivers. First and foremost, I have no sound. When I look under Sound in the Device Manager, I only see:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

I have tried installing every single driver on the emachines website for my model (W6409), but nothing has worked.

So, any ideas?

Also, under Other Devices, I have a ? with an ! on it for:

PCI Device
SM Bus Controller

Help please!

in device manager, uninstall the the audio, and reboot. When XP comes back up it should ask for teh driver or else it will install it itself. Make sure your pci card is seated correctly.

in device manager, uninstall the the audio, and reboot. When XP comes back up it should ask for teh driver or else it will install it itself. Make sure your pci card is seated correctly.

Well that's the thing... I can't uninstall what isn't there. I cant do anything but update the codecs/devices under sound and they are already the highest update. And I haven't touched any hardware like pci card.

Try clicking them individually and going to the option of "I will choose the driver to install" and point it at the folder in which you've unzipped the realtek drivers. Also: do you have a sound card or is it onboard?

It is built into the motherboard. I'll try the manual file installation real quick and edit this post if it works/doesn't work.

EDIT:

When I go to the folder I installed the Realtek driver in (I used this driver) it gives me a few more folders inside called: MSHDQ, Vista, Vista64, WDM.

I didn't find any .inf files under MSHDQ and its folders, and ignored Vista and Vista64 since I have Windows XP Media Center, and under WDM I have all of these:

HDA
HDA01
HDA104D
HDA861A
HDAApple
HDACPC
HDAHP880
HDAHPBPC
HDAHDAHPNB
HDALC
HDARt
HDASamsu
HDX
HDX01
HDX104D
HDX861A
HDXApple
HDXCPC
HDXHP880
HDXHPBPC
HDXHPNB
HDXLC
HDXRT
HDXSamsu

I tried to install HDA under my Audio Codec, and it brough up the Realtek driver under Sound, and after restarting there was a ! next to its icon. When I updated it, it apparently updated the Audio codec and erased the Realtek driver.

So.... ?

Last edited:
did you install the chipset drivers first before anything? straight after you installed xp?

did you install the chipset drivers first before anything? straight after you installed xp?

The first thing I installed was the wireless driver so I could actually have internet to solve the other problems. After that... I've been working on the sound. So I didn't install the chipset driver first, but out of every driver I've installed, none show up on Device Manager.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back