no HD or CD showing after installing SP2

obviously the HD with XP Pro SP2 is working fine, but my other HD and DVD drive aren't available in windows. They show in BIOS and display when starting up, but once windows loads, they aren't available.
This happened right after upgrading to SP2.

Any ideas on this?

Thats an odd one .. could be your chipset drivers are not working well w/ SP2 (I recently read about some Dell/HP/Compaq computers having troubles with said drivers. Maybe take a stroll over to your computer makers site and see if they have any driver updates for your machine and/or SP2 tips (I know HP/Compaq has a checklist of things). :)

Open Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management/

Look in there. If you see them try reassigning the drive letters by right clicking on them.

I checked out the ASUS site. I have the P4R800-VM board. There aren't any updates I haven't already installed.

good idea, but any others?
I've been searching everywhere and trying everything I can think of

they don't show there or anywhere once windows loads. The only drive showing there is my SATA

Hipster Doofus said:
Open Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management/

Look in there. If you see them try reassigning the drive letters by right clicking on them.

That kinda sounds like my problem, but not exactly. The HD and DVD drive aren't showing in the device manager at all. I have no 'other devices' or problems with anything in the device manager.
I tried it anyways...no luck :(
but thanks for trying!
I'll be checking back off and on all night if anyone has any ideas!

Hipster Doofus said:
Microsoft.

That link is for when they disappear after installing XP. Might be similar with SP2.

Backup your registry then give this a go>

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
Exit Registry and Reboot

Are this other HD and DVD drive on the same IDE cable?

Hmmm, I'd try uninstalling the IDE driver and rebooting, downloading and installing the latest one if necessary.

The HD running XP SP2 is a SATA.
The HD not showing is on the primary IDE and the DVD is on the secondary

Xie said:
Are this other HD and DVD drive on the same IDE cable?

I actually missed this suggestion, but that's what fixed it. I just uninstalled from the device manager, rebooted, and everything works!!
Thanks for the help everyone!!

dreamliner77 said:
Hmmm, I'd try uninstalling the IDE driver and rebooting, downloading and installing the latest one if necessary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back