Nisum.exe

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I opened Task Manager today and notice this file running. So I did a search on the internet and its saying it's a Trojan. NV2003 scans my system every night. It didnt' flag anything. I ran a trojan remover utility and that didn't flag anything. Is this a trojan or not?

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Do you run Norton Internet Security? I believe Nisum.exe is a component of NIS.

3. i don't think it's a trojan. it's a file from Symantec Corp. software.
    http://www.bugtoaster.com/dw15/Repo...mpany=Symantec+Corporation&BaseName=nisum.exe

i am guessing, but i think the 'nis' part is 'Norton Internet Security'
    something or other.exe

there is a trojan( Autoupder) that will check for running apps that are firewalls (like nisum.exe, blackd.exe zonealarm.exe) if the computer has a firewall the trojan does not install/infect. i haven't heard of it infecting those files though, just checks for thier presance.

i am not 100% sure of this though, so if anyone else has info on this i'd be thankful too.

4. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I am running NAV2003, NPF 2003, and going through a router.

5. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

I would suspect then its a component of NPF.

If you locate the file and view its properties you should see Its product details and it may even be digitally signed.

If its not doing anything suspicious and the AV says its clean i would say your safe.