Nice Download Speed

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by American Zombie, Sep 8, 2007.

1. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Think this is the highest I have ever had for a torrent.

Attached Files:

• tor.jpg
      tor.jpg
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Next wednsday I get my bresnan digital phone, cable and net. Uncapped line, all new wiring. We have alot of unused fiber they bought around here, so some of the preliminary tests are showing over 15MBps.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Only 1.0MB/sec?

I'll have to cap my server one day for you doing 50MB/sec :D

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Nice. I wish my connection would do that. :(

I should move to Japan.

5. American Zombie

For a torrent I thought it wasn't too bad.

Now as far as connection, this is the last speed test result.

[​IMG]

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Wow, I'll never see torrents that fast. If you downloaded off Giganews with a connection like you've got, you'd get 2.5MB a second 24x7 on all your downloads!

7. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Thats a horrible upstream though. :(

8. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I would assume he capped his upstream, if not it will kill the rest of your machine. I think I limit mine to 5kb/s

9. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Why would you cap your upstream when you are doing a speed test? In any case, limiting upstream to 5kbps is going to hurt more than help. With most data being transmitted over the internet that requires that a packet be verified that it has reached point B, upstream can be just as important as downstream. I haven't seen 5kbps up since I had dial up.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  10. American Zombie

Service is capped at 768Kbps up so I am pretty close to that. If it is so slow let me see yours and not from a business line but from your home.

speedtest

11. kcnychief

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were referring to the upstream traffic on the torrent screenshot.

Just got this from home -

[​IMG]

12. American Zombie

You in the area where they have the higher speeds to go against Fios or maybe have business service at home?

Normal "home" service on Comcast does not offer that high of upload. Only business, areas that compete against Fios or the new test areas go that high.

13. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Gosh darn. I have a business package with Time Warner and I don't even get that kind of upload.

15/2

14. kcnychief

Nope, regular home services. Only thing that may be different is that I have one of the fancier modems that does broadband and VoIP in one device.

15. American Zombie

Modem does not matter.

Test here

16. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

That site gives me a read out of 14/1.8, over a Wireless-G AP.

17. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Yeah. I regularly get faster downloading anime on my server. I've had upto 8MB/sec before now.

18. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

None of those tests really work all that well with me. I have traffic shaping on my gateway machine.

[​IMG]

Note: Depending on what port it is communicating on, it may be getting a lower priority (HTTP, and other traffic has higher priority), upload has a set limit, ACK packets get preference over all other packets.

Test was completed while bandwidth chart looked like (Graphs taken before bandwidth tests):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking at the graphs afterwards, it has to fight against other traffic (I live in a house with 7 other people) and as such we have to share the bandwidth, hence the bandwidth shaping. (HTTP has to stay fast, Torrents can slow down for essential traffic like IM's, email, http and other such things).

That being said, this is what our yearly transfer since we moved into the house looks like (Chart starts late, as I did not implement the graphing until about 5 weeks into it. Just imagine the line going down to 0):

[​IMG]

Each of the dips is because the gateway was rebooted, or went offline when there was a power outage, or a stupid room mate who pulled the wrong plug :p.

Attached Files:

19. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

As for bittorrent, the fastest I have ever had a torrent go was about 1.5 MB/s at my old place of residence in New Jersey, where I had Optimum Online (15 Mbit down, 2 Mbit up non-business plan!) Optimum Online pays their peers a lot of money, and such I always got routed over the best available network, whereas with Cox I tend to get routed to LA first, then to Chicago then to NY to visit a site located in NY, instead of taking the better route, PHX to Dallas, to NY. I get routed over a lot of sub-par networks :(

20. kcnychief

Just did that test, see attached, pretty much the same results (airbrushed out my IP though)

Attached Files: