NIC on PC

W

WiredBrain

I'm using an external modem. Is this means that I've a Network Installation Card (NIC)? If not, how can I know whether I've a NIC?

Is it (1) a dialup modem or (2) a cable modem?
OR
Does (1) a phone line plug into it or (2) does your cable TV wire plug into it?
OR
Does (2) the wire from your modem to the computer look like a phone line with a bigger plug or (1) does it have a "D" plug with about 15 or so pins in it?

For 1 you most likely don't have a NIC (Network Interface Card) or at least it's not being used. The "D" plug is a serial port (Same shape and size as your monitor cable, except with few pins).

For 2 it's most likely a cable modem that goes to a NIC card in your computer. And in this case it's being used.

Hope that helps.

-JG

I'm using a dial-up modem. How can i know whether I have NIC or not?

In Device Manger look for "Network Adapter". If you do not see this then you for sure do not have a NIC.....

Dial-up modems don't use NIC:s so that's not connected to one anyway. That doesn't mean you don't have a NIC though. :)

run > type in cmd > type in systeminfo
the last thing listed shoud be installed NIC's

N/A sounds more like "no NIC" to me. Unless it's one NIC installed with the name N/A.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back