NIC Card Not Recognised?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tabula Rasa, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

I'm having a wierd problem with a network card.
    I connected the card to the PCI slot, but windows didn't recognise it.
    So I downloaded and installed its (RealTek RTL8139C) drivers, and windows still wont show it up (infact the only network card the Device Maneger shows is my USB ADSL modem).
    So I decided to connect it to a hub and see what happens, the hub did recognise it and they (the card and the hub) seem to have comunication :confused:

Any ideas why Windows (XP Proffesional) fails to recognise it, and should I worry about that.

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Did you try a different PCI slot. Perhaps you are having a IRQ conflict? If you try more then 1 PCI slot and Windows still doesn't see it then you have something completely different going on. Do you get any error messages or does it just not show? If all else fails I guess as long as it works I wouldn't worry if it shows. :p

Tabula Rasa likes this.
  3. Tabula Rasa

Hrm, pretty odd, but on the 1005th restart it showed up :D
    I think it was the PCI slot, maybe the kick I gave it fixed it :p

4. Xie

Yeah computers love physical abuse

*disclaimer* - doing so is at your own risk and may break more hardware then it fixes. :p

5. Tabula Rasa

True, but I'm going to replace most of it this weekend (sense most of it is ****) I had nothing to loose :D

Don't want to spam, so I'll ask here :)
    What would be better (performance speaking)
    DSL modem -> router -> Computers,
    or DSL modem -> computer -> router -> computers ?

6. Xie

If you set it up correctly you shouldn't notice any difference between the 2. I would go DSL modem -> router -> computers as that way you get NAT for all your systems (and also need only 1 IP?). :)

7. Tabula Rasa

Well, DSL modem -> router is impossible I fear :( So I'm thinking about replacing it with a real (normal) modem.
    The thing is, If I connect it the modem -> pc -> router then the PC will act like a server right? meaning will it loose preformance?

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Yes, If you pass all your net traffic through the PC it will loose performance.

Whether you will see enough loss to care depends on what the other comp's on the network are doing, how fast the machine is, your dsl speed and the sun spot cycle.

Best to go through the router first since it will give you a NAT firewall against incoming attacks for free.

9. Tabula Rasa

Thanks guys :) I just hope its possible to connect to my ISP without dial-up, which is not for certain.