NIC Card Not Recognised?

Tabula Rasa

Stranger Than Kindness
Political Access
I'm having a wierd problem with a network card.
I connected the card to the PCI slot, but windows didn't recognise it.
So I downloaded and installed its (RealTek RTL8139C) drivers, and windows still wont show it up (infact the only network card the Device Maneger shows is my USB ADSL modem).
So I decided to connect it to a hub and see what happens, the hub did recognise it and they (the card and the hub) seem to have comunication :confused:

Any ideas why Windows (XP Proffesional) fails to recognise it, and should I worry about that.

Did you try a different PCI slot. Perhaps you are having a IRQ conflict? If you try more then 1 PCI slot and Windows still doesn't see it then you have something completely different going on. Do you get any error messages or does it just not show? If all else fails I guess as long as it works I wouldn't worry if it shows. :p

Hrm, pretty odd, but on the 1005th restart it showed up :D
I think it was the PCI slot, maybe the kick I gave it fixed it :p

Benny said:
Hrm, pretty odd, but on the 1005th restart it showed up :D
I think it was the PCI slot, maybe the kick I gave it fixed it :p
Yeah computers love physical abuse

*disclaimer* - doing so is at your own risk and may break more hardware then it fixes. :p

Xie said:
*disclaimer* - doing so is at your own risk and may break more hardware then it fixes. :p
True, but I'm going to replace most of it this weekend (sense most of it is ****) I had nothing to loose :D

Don't want to spam, so I'll ask here :)
What would be better (performance speaking)
DSL modem -> router -> Computers,
or DSL modem -> computer -> router -> computers ?

Benny said:
Don't want to spam, so I'll ask here :)
What would be better (performance speaking)
DSL modem -> router -> Computers,
or DSL modem -> computer -> router -> computers ?
If you set it up correctly you shouldn't notice any difference between the 2. I would go DSL modem -> router -> computers as that way you get NAT for all your systems (and also need only 1 IP?). :)

Well, DSL modem -> router is impossible I fear :( So I'm thinking about replacing it with a real (normal) modem.
The thing is, If I connect it the modem -> pc -> router then the PC will act like a server right? meaning will it loose preformance?

Yes, If you pass all your net traffic through the PC it will loose performance.

Whether you will see enough loss to care depends on what the other comp's on the network are doing, how fast the machine is, your dsl speed and the sun spot cycle.

Best to go through the router first since it will give you a NAT firewall against incoming attacks for free.

Thanks guys :) I just hope its possible to connect to my ISP without dial-up, which is not for certain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back