Newly Aquired iBook/Powerbook

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hey guys, just curious -

I just aquired a 17" PowerBook 400mhz/386mb/10GB HD and a 14" iBook 800mhz/640mb/30GB HD for midi application in a (musical)keyboard lab. I paid just under 800USD and was just curious on what you guys think. Did I overpay? They should both have airports, i think...

-tc

Last edited by a moderator:
Good price I say.

Though I'm not a fan of the 14" iBook, it's like they took the 12" and stretched it :D

I think you got a great deal, TC. Hope those work out well for you.

By the way, I changed your "Ibook" to "iBook." Hope you don't mind, but it's like a picture hanging crooked on the wall. ;)

muzikool said:
By the way, I changed your "Ibook" to "iBook."

Speedy- I think that it's actually going to be a 12" iBook afterall... Should be in the mail early next week. Just by looking at the picture, I thought it was a 14 compared with the 17" Powerbook, but the spacing on the keyboard edges is much smaller than my 14" iBook.

EDIT: Oh yeah!! I just must add this --- I am getting two copies of OSX Tiger included! So now I can finally upgrade my main mac from panther :p

Last edited:
Tiger is nice.

That is a good price for those two laptops.

Speedy- I think that it's actually going to be a 12" iBook afterall... Should be in the mail early next week. Just by looking at the picture, I thought it was a 14 compared with the 17" Powerbook, but the spacing on the keyboard edges is much smaller than my 14" iBook.

EDIT: Oh yeah!! I just must add this --- I am getting two copies of OSX Tiger included! So now I can finally upgrade my main mac from panther :p
Woo, just in time for everyone to start using Leopard :D

yeah, by then I will upgrade my personal laptop(now an ibook) to a new macbook. Don't worry, i won't fall behind again lol...

Well... I am typing this on my new 12" iBook :D it turns out that 400mhz is extremely slow on a powerbook, and that one may find a home on ebay shortly, but the ibook is pretty nice with nearly 1gig of ram...

Is there anything that would cause iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD to show up as "?" marks in the dock? I will probably have to reinstal iLife...

-tc

I'd just re-create the shortcuts to iPhoto, etc. in the dock and see if that takes care of it. If you can launch the programs from the Applications folder then I would imagine the installation is fine.

see, thats the thing... I dont always see the original files. Earlier I saw them and now they are nowhere as if they were never installed...

Is this a sign of it being pirated/cracked? Also, when I first turned it on, under the recent items menu I saw something titled iLife-06.dmg which led me to suspect that Its not a authentic install. I already contacted the person that sold it to us and am waiting for a response...

Strange, maybe those dock shortcuts were pointing to the disk image, like they never really installed the programs into the Applications folder. I guess you purchased the laptop with the understanding you were going to iLife, right?

no.. they said nothing about ilife. I really only need garageband out of the iLife suit, but it's not very important at this moment. If, however, the software installed is cracked, I will need to find out so I can get partially refunded or have the correct software installed. I'm pretty sure that apple doesn't like their software cracked and I know m$ doesn't, and MS office is installed on the iBook as well which is kind a fishy.

Is there any way to find out if the software installed is authentic?

There's no activation for iLife, so I don't know how to go about figuring that out. Office on the other hand... you could probably call Microsoft and they'd be happy to verify its authenticity.

If there's a question mark over the icon, it usually indicates that the file the dock is linking to, is actually missing. For example, if I install Firefox, put its icon in the dock, then delete it, the Freifox icon remains in the dock, however won't work, and puts a "?" over itself when clicked.

As the machines are older models, if iLife 06 is installed, it has been done with a DVD post-purchase, therefore, if you don't have the original install media, you don't have the right to be using it.

Personally, if I was buying a second hand machine, (after searching the hard drive for the previous owners credit card numbers and pr0n stash :p), I'd have wiped it all and started again with a fresh install.

If software was included in the deal, it should have come on a separate disc, if it hasn't, then it's not really included.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back