Newbie!

Eagle710

OSNN Senior Addict
I am a newbie @ Linux i was wondering which version i should use?? something easy that would get me use to linux, also some answers like do i need to install an internet connection, anti virus or anything that should be seriously considered. Thanx

well if you want something easy and simple to get started with then i would go with ubuntu, kubuntu, mandrake these are simple and nice to use.
but if you want a good one get suse 9.3 it just came out it has
kde 3.4
kernel 2.6.11.4
mozilla 1.0.1
and lots of other cool features
as for internet you dont need to worry a lot about that it's done for you during set up

... and when it comes to anti virus, you don't need to care at all. Linux viruses do exist, but they are extremely rare (we're talking about 40 or so compared to the 60000 Windows viruses) and hardly very dangerous, so it's really no point.

dont use linux until you know hardware inside out. I know people do but its stupid. Linux requires alot of pc knowledge despite all the market, spin and the more hardcore "fans"/"zealots" that you will find around.

Stick to windows.

and most of the impact of them are reduced by the fact that the average linux user never runs as root, same reason for the lack of mac osx virus's

LordOfLA said:
dont use linux until you know hardware inside out. I know people do but its stupid. Linux requires alot of pc knowledge despite all the market, spin and the more hardcore "fans"/"zealots" that you will find around.

Stick to windows.

I partially agree with this. Linux does not require alot of PC knowledge, rather, it requires that you are able to read the documentation for your hardware to find the required values.

The latest few distributions that have come out like SuSe, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Kubuntu all make it relatively easy for a new person to use Linux, however don't expect miracles. Take your time, and make sure to read the documentation for your hardware when setting up Linux.

Thanx all.... but still no response on my internet problem,... i have DSL but i have to connect up so what would i do then just install the software as necessary or what.. i dont know if its linux compataible

you dont have compatability or not with internet unless your modem is usb in that case linux allows it to install automatically or you're gonna have to find a driver that installs it, but if you connect the network calbe directly to the computer you'll be fine im not sure about if you connect through usb modem

one word: google

if you're dead set on using linux, you must use google and learn to search effectivley, otherwise alot of people are going to run low on patience when you start demanding answeres as you did just there...

eagle710 said:
I am a newbie @ Linux i was wondering which version i should use?? something easy that would get me use to linux, also some answers like do i need to install an internet connection, anti virus or anything that should be seriously considered. Thanx

I am so right there with you kid. I feel like a baby to that Linux game (SLANG=scene) yet I think about it everyday and I want to make that move just waiting for that test machine im going to buy from my buddy :D:D:D:D hope you have the best of luck as far as experience goes buddy. laterz

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back