Newbie to RedHat

ok. so i put it as primary slave, so whats next? put cd in the cdrom drive and let redhat boot from the cd rom and then tell it to install in the 2nd drive??? do redhat has has what i need to do dual booting? or i need download it from the web first?

whats the difference between LILO and GRUB? which is better?

I'd use Grub
but its definately a personal opinion thing this one, in the end they both do the same job, so either will do

but for me that i'm a newbie? which is easier?

speedyB u said to put it as secondary slave??? slave of the cd rom???

Yeah, makes no difference really.
In fact, there is a way to load Linux using the NT Boot Loader (which is used to load XP) as well, but it can get a little more complicated.

He meant you can use it as a secondary drive or a slave drive. It makes no difference.

i meant as a secondary drive, not as secondary slave. :)
As for your boot loader as NetRyder says, probably best to stick with text lilo for now.

NetRyder : using the NT boot menu is sweet :D i first did it with NetBSD way back, was quite happy when i did that, looked nice and neat having Windows XP and NetBSD next to each other on the screen :p

and how about firewalls and antivirus???

aonther thing: i know there are drivers for nvidia cards, do the card will work before installing the driver?? does the installing process of drivers is the same as in windows???

sorry for all the sh*t but as i said before i dont now crap about linux :)

Chances are RedHat will have a firewall in the packages so you can choose to install it, not to sure about an anti-virus tho.

the driver process isn't like windows at all, but your card should work without the drivers from nVidia.
If you must install them tho, there is a very in-depth readme on the nvidia site explaining how to do so.

You don't get viruses (virii) when running Linux.

Good luck renakuajo :)

There are -some- virii aimed at linux, but chances are you wont get affected unless your running some form of server daemon, such as apache webserver an ftp server or a mailserver.
Obviously these daemons / servers aren't required for home / desktop use, so there's no need to worry :)

ok thanks guys i let u know how it goes.........as soon as i get redhat running LOL

hope dsl works fine

guys one more:

can i do the instalation from windows or do i need to boot from the cd??

i put my second hard drive as master in the second channel and put the cd rom as slave of it....is that a good configuration???

installation can't be from within windows, you'll have to boot from cd.
that config should be ok too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back