New Windows XP update, but what is it?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Glaanieboy, May 2, 2004.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

A Windows Update window popped up telling me that there are two updates waiting to be installed (see attachment), but what is the second one? I don't like the sound of that (1) and Beta.
    I did notice when I typed in wupdmgr.exe in the Run box yesterday, I got redirected to the v5 of Windows Update and that the installation of that plugin didn't went like it should so, with errors and all. But I replaced the v5 part of the URL with v4 and I was back on the old site, where it asked me to install the v4 of the ActiveX control, because the previous one failed. I tried installing two updates (one I can't remember and one update for my Realtek based LAN card), but it failed.

Could this weird update be related to the problems I had yesterday?

Attached Files:

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

DOH, I should read what it says. It says that this is a null update, when this one is installed, the (2) version of the update should appear, not earlier.
    I went to the Windows Update site again using wupdmgr.exe in the Run dialog box, and it seems the v5 of the WU works again. It looks really slick, definately worth a look :)

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Damn, it's really a Beta. Strange that the Windows Update Manager redirects to the new site. All of the updates failed, then I reverted back to v4 and now I am installing one of the failed updates, see if that matters.

4. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Hmmm, v4 still works, it just asked me to restart the computer. Will be back in 5 mins.

5. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Glaanieboy - are you running SP2 Beta by chance? I thought the v5 update was only for SP2????

6. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Nope, no Beta's here, that's why I am confused. I just completed the installation for the updates on v4 and they went fine. But now I checked v5 again (actually the new wizard popped up telling me that there were updates available) and it's offering me the same updates. Weird.