new to linux

karl_axe

OSNN Addict
hey guys,

i just installed linux 7.1 but i don't seem to hear any sound.

do you have to configure sound differently or does it autodetect?

also, is there a way to network linux with windows? how do you configure ethernet, TCP/IP etc...

i'm completely new at this coz i've used windows ever since.

thanks

it'd help if we knew what distributin you are using.

Your sound will (usually) auto-detect if you are using a "known" device, if not, then you'll need to have a mess about with drivers and so on.
And yes, Windows will network with Linux and ViceVersa.

Originally posted by karl_axe
hey guys,

i just installed linux 7.1 but i don't seem to hear any sound.

do you have to configure sound differently or does it autodetect?

If you are running Redhat or Mandrake you can use "sndconfig".

You will need to open a terminal window as a superuser using your root password. Then type in.... sndconfig

If the program fails to auto detect your sound card you can enter the IRQ, DMA channel and Port address (s) manually. You can get this information from Windows device manager before you try.

If you are using KDE you will also have to make sure the aRTS server is running. I think you can access this via the KDE control panel.

Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back