New System Build for Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanquished - why would you be against the 8800 GTS 320mb so much you'd recommend a 7950GT over it? I've done extensive readings from just about every reviewer and they all show that a 320 is the same speed as the 640, on a per-game basis depending on the resolution. At 1600x1200 and up it starts to show its downfalls. However, an overclocked 320mb GTS spanks a stock 640mb GTS and comes close to the ranks of a stock GTX..

Bottom line, the 8800 *anything* is going to be miles ahead of any combination of 79xx series cards. The unified shader architecture literally revolutionized these GPUs. Not to mention.. you'd pay big money for a 7950GT and end up future-f*(#$#ng yourself because it lacks SM4.0 and DX10 support.

The aforementioned, as well as going with an AMD for that price, are my major concerns...

No offense, but are you retarded?
Have I compared the 5200 to anything?

I have been comparing my laptop processor, to a laptop c2d...
Ergo my pricing, though a little skewed for the Intel, since it was an estimate is accurate.

I thought this thread was for your friends system?

epk's post never said anything about your processor, you introduced your processor into the equation unilaterally. If you notice, pretty much everyone else is STILL discussing the original processor question and we are STILL recommending the core2 processor over and above ANY amd solution currently available in the same price range.

Your pricing is still skewed because you are comparing your processor's CURRENT price v/s that of a brand new processor.

Call me retarded all you want vanquished, your call. But it really doesn't say much for your own intelligence, if you really want to go that route.

I thought this thread was for your friends system?

epk's post never said anything about your processor, you introduced your processor into the equation unilaterally. If you notice, pretty much everyone else is STILL discussing the original processor question and we are STILL recommending the core2 processor over and above ANY amd solution currently available in the same price range.

Your pricing is still skewed because you are comparing your processor's CURRENT price v/s that of a brand new processor.

Call me retarded all you want vanquished, your call. But it really doesn't say much for your own intelligence, if you really want to go that route.
Its not skewed though.
Since im saying my processor is CURRENTLY better than the c2d...
ergo no skewing there.

Frankly Generic.
I am against the 640mb 8800gts too.
I would have gotten the 8800gtx, since... your wasting a ton of money on it.
I like the 7950s because its cheaper and i dont see a need for the 8800s, but yes.
If it were me, i would get the 8800gtx...

a clawhammer/newark doesn't preform as good as a merom, end of story

hell, even newer turions don't rival mobile core 2s

well intel has openly admitted they don't have nearly the margin of profit on their cpus as AMD has ..especially in this 300-400 category.

I wasn't aware of any extreme processors being in this category either. I can find plenty of fx series AMD in this price area ...which i coulda swore enthusiasts like to overclock?

so what exactly is this gripe about? Looking more into this i fail to see anything from intel in this category that can match a fx60 or fx62 as far as flexibility/speed/price.

If you go even cheaper to the sub100usd class intel has absolutely nothing that can match AMD.

So that leaves the top tier ... intel invested in smaller chips ..amd invested in a totally different technology ... one that some could argue being the better of 2 gpu manufacturers.

So one might ask ..hmm what is intel going to do next generation? It has absolutely nothing to do with video ..thats for sure... on the other hand ... what is AMD gonna do? The real statement is ... what can't they do?

So while Intel is stuck making the same crap ... AMD yet again being the underdog has innovation and technology on their side. They might have to go back to their roots ...and aim for enthusiasts like vanquished and me ... but i kinda like the idea of what the future holds.

OMG i just read past post #1 and VANQUISHED... what are you smoking? (Besides AMD's pole, of course.) Nobody's paying you to be their fanboy.. ALL benchmarks show that an E6300 with only 2MB of cache can be overclocked on stock air and smash the fastest most expensive AMD offering for something like $180!

Benchmarks aren't a tell-all, except when there are approximately 100 different benchmarks out there that all prove the same thing.. If you are going to argue something you have a chance at winning.. at least say something like "Barcelona will may whoop the Conroe's ass!". When in reality, Penryn-based (45nm die) Intel CPUs like Yorkfield and Wolfdale will likely offer much more than Barcelona can muster.

We're all friends here..but you're acting weird - you ok? haha

Its not skewed though.
ergo no skewing there.

Frankly Generic.
I am against the 640mb 8800gts too.
I would have gotten the 8800gtx, since... your wasting a ton of money on it.
I like the 7950s because its cheaper and i dont see a need for the 8800s, but yes.
If it were me, i would get the 8800gtx...
Hey if I had $550 I would have a GTX too..but a $340 640MB GTS will be sufficient for any game I can play at 1600x1200. I dont plan on being the ubergamer.

From Trainmaster-
"well intel has openly admitted they don't have nearly the margin of profit on their cpus as AMD has ..especially in this 300-400 category.

I wasn't aware of any extreme processors being in this category either. I can find plenty of fx series AMD in this price area ...which i coulda swore enthusiasts like to overclock?

so what exactly is this gripe about? Looking more into this i fail to see anything from intel in this category that can match a fx60 or fx62 as far as flexibility/speed/price.

If you go even cheaper to the sub100usd class intel has absolutely nothing that can match AMD.

So that leaves the top tier ... intel invested in smaller chips ..amd invested in a totally different technology ... one that some could argue being the better of 2 gpu manufacturers.

So one might ask ..hmm what is intel going to do next generation? It has absolutely nothing to do with video ..thats for sure... on the other hand ... what is AMD gonna do? The real statement is ... what can't they do?

So while Intel is stuck making the same crap ... AMD yet again being the underdog has innovation and technology on their side. They might have to go back to their roots ...and aim for enthusiasts like vanquished and me ... but i kinda like the idea of what the future holds."

Absolutely, thats why i bought stock in them
I cant wait for the on-board video controller.
And you are exactly right, there is nothing Intel can do in this price range, like i said before the best intel pentium d didnt even beat the worst AMD X2...
So....

Its not skewed though.
ergo no skewing there.

You can say it all you want Vanq, you're still wrong, laughably so.

I would seriously advise ever bringing this up in regular conversation with anyone who is even mildly technologically savvy.

You can say it all you want Vanq, you're still wrong, laughably so.

I would seriously advise ever bringing this up in regular conversation with anyone who is even mildly technologically savvy.
Ill say it all i want lol.
Like I said, i dont care what you think.
Its not my fault you went and wasted money on an intel...
I speak from experience so...

train....

the e6600 gives the fx-62 a good fight, and it's cheaper

intel stuck making the same crap? cores and p4s have like nothing in common, and you've got penryn and nehalem on the works...
and what has amd offered as new lately?

try to talk about actual facts and not about what amd may come up with in the future....

train....

the e6600 gives the fx-62 a good fight, and it's cheaper

intel stuck making the same crap? cores and p4s have like nothing in common, and you've got penryn and nehalem on the works...
and what has amd offered as new lately?

try to talk about actual facts and not about what amd may come up with in the future....
AMD will come out with the onboard video controller.
And AMD just came out with its own new socket..

well you're right ... vanquished ... having an onboard video controller will yet again be the benchmark of cpu's and sadly ... nvidia isn't for sale.

For AMD its a win-win ..they have strategic alliance with Nvidia and now own ATI ...and computers are headed down the video road ..with everything becoming more and more graphic intensive.

With an onboard video controller things will definitely change ...such as the term gpu pipelines ..will not even matter. but oh wait... intel will be stuck relying on someone else for video ..and at the mercy of them... proving once again that intel is intels worst enemy and bottleneck.

While they think of the next 12-18 months ..its clear AMD is shooting for the 24-26 month arena. So right now for both vendors its kinda like a lull time. neither have really offered anything to get excited about in a long time. I think ddr3 or ddr4 will have to be implemented before anymore groundbreaking processors are to hit the arena. as it is ..memory is still a bottleneck ..and with flash memory hard drives around the corner ..they no longer will be a bottleneck and RPM's will be a think of the past.

And if anyone thinks the merger of AMD/ATI will do anything but bare significant fruit ... and bring benchmark innovation ... please tell me what intel has done to change the basic design of cpu besides adding some aluminum alloy to its processors?

anyway ..id much rather buy video cards than processors. I care very little about anything other than games.

if i can make this 24" run smoothly at 1920x1200 with no lag ..im down with it and this fx60 fits the bill ...of course it helps to have 2 8800gtx's.
Everyone must realize that no one can stay on top forever. Amd or intel cannot do it. Its not healthy and near impossible.

Right now i would like to have intels processor with amd memory controller and onboard video controller ..if you were just considering speed alone. but price ...id have to take amd. 2 seconds arent worth the 900usd premium.

lastly ..if you cant easily overclock it ..im not buying it. I definitely am not spending a grand on a processor. You can find fx60's for 300ish and even less if you look around. Its quite ez to oc it to 3ghz on air ..although there is no real noticable gain in doing so.

Last edited:
Ill say it all i want lol.
Like I said, i dont care what you think.
Its not my fault you went and wasted money on an intel...
I speak from experience so...

a) I have not purchased an intel proc since my old 3.0C Northwood a couple of years ago.

b) Your experience is wrong. You are wrong. Your advice to your friend is wrong. You will not find any evidence to backup your "feelings" because there is none.

Cheers.

I dont get why you are referencing the Prescott Pentium-D when it is obsolete as a platform. Yes, it sucked. The entire P4 platform sucked and was full of energy leakage too. A total revamp to the Core series meant low power consumption and an extremely high performance. Intel's Core is better than anything AMD has to offer. Do you recall the 4x4 reviews? They spent more money on the PSU required to power the damned thing that most people will spend on their Intel CPU + PSU combined. It still failed to impress. :(

I have HIGH hopes for Barcelona - I have been an AMD guy since I dropped Intel back in the Pentium II's. I go with what's best. It is very convenient that Intel is cheap as well as clearly the best. If Barcelona is cheap and by far, the fastest, I would have no qualms with ditching my C2D to pick up an entirely new platform. God.. AM2 is dead already, I just cant believe it.

Oh and I am bowing out of this conversation before I start hurting feelings. This is SILLY!

I dont get why you are referencing the Prescott Pentium-D when it is obsolete as a platform. Yes, it sucked. The entire P4 platform sucked and was full of energy leakage too. A total revamp to the Core series meant low power consumption and an extremely high performance. Intel's Core is better than anything AMD has to offer. Do you recall the 4x4 reviews? They spent more money on the PSU required to power the damned thing that most people will spend on their Intel CPU + PSU combined. It still failed to impress. :(

I have HIGH hopes for Barcelona - I have been an AMD guy since I dropped Intel back in the Pentium II's. I go with what's best. It is very convenient that Intel is cheap as well as clearly the best. If Barcelona is cheap and by far, the fastest, I would have no qualms with ditching my C2D to pick up an entirely new platform. God.. AM2 is dead already, I just cant believe it.

But prescott had higher power consumption than anything AMD had.

Per Vanq's logic, it MUST be the best processor EVAH !!!

---

And I am also exiting stage left. This "conversation" is beyond ludicrous now.

There is stubborn and there is blissfully ignorant and happy in one's own stupidity. We are past stubborn.

Be fore-warned Vanq, if there is a request from you for assistance in the future and all you end up doing is pooh-poohing legit advice while supporting your own idiocy, I'll probably just close the thread to save everyone some brain-cells.

Cheers :cool:

a) I have not purchased an intel proc since my old 3.0C Northwood a couple of years ago.

b) Your experience is wrong. You are wrong. Your advice to your friend is wrong. You will not find any evidence to backup your "feelings" because there is none.

Cheers.
What the hell did i advise my friend in doing?
He configured that pc all by himself, i just didnt like the video card, that is all.

My experience isnt wrong... Since you know absolutely **** about my experience with a c2d processor and an amd 64 3200 processor.
Obviously you and everyone else in this thread is threatened by realizing Intel isn't as high and mighty as you so love to claim it, but i dont care...

You're missing the fact that you don't need a Core 2 Extreme to outperform a current-gen AMD FX proc. There are solid benchmarks out there from multiple independent, trustworthy sources. Cranking up clock speeds are not the only way to increase performance; as an "AMD enthusiast" you should know that more than anyone. And if you really want to overclock, most regular Core 2's overclock pretty damn well too. A friend of mine recently upgraded his box from a X2 4200+ to an E6600, and is running it at 3.4GHz (1GHz above stock) on stock voltage with stock cooling.

Maybe not, but that's not what the discussion here is about. Vanq is arguing that a $205 X2 Windsor would outperform a similarly priced Conroe (E6300 or E6600). Assuming the two test systems are almost identical in every other way, that's just plain wrong/impossible whichever way you try to spin it.

So while Intel is stuck making the same crap ... AMD yet again being the underdog has innovation and technology on their side. They might have to go back to their roots ...and aim for enthusiasts like vanquished and me ... but i kinda like the idea of what the future holds.
Look, we can all try to look into crystal balls to predict the future, but when you're building a system today (as Vanq is), you look at the options that you have available to you now, not what may be available in the distant future. And looking at the options available today, it's perfectly clear that in the price range Vanq is looking at, the Conroe is the most prudent choice, all biases aside.

You're missing the fact that you don't need a Core 2 Extreme to outperform a current-gen AMD FX proc. There are solid benchmarks out there from multiple independent, trustworthy sources. Cranking up clock speeds are not the only way to increase performance; as an "AMD enthusiast" you should know that more than anyone. And if you really want to overclock, most regular Core 2's overclock pretty damn well too. A friend of mine recently upgraded his box from a X2 4200+ to an E6600, and is running it at 3.4GHz (1GHz above stock) on stock voltage with stock cooling.

Maybe not, but that's not what the discussion here is about. Vanq is arguing that a $205 X2 Windsor would outperform a similarly priced Conroe (E6300 or E6600). Assuming the two test systems are almost identical in every other way, that's just plain wrong/impossible whichever way you try to spin it.

Look, we can all try to look into crystal balls to predict the future, but when you're building a system today (as Vanq is), you look at the options that you have available to you now, not what may be available in the distant future. And looking at the options available today, it's perfectly clear that in the price range Vanq is looking at, the Conroe is the most prudent choice, all biases aside.
Not I, :p
I wouldn't have a price range :D
This was for a friend ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back