New PSU

DFX

OSNN Senior Addict
Mine is too loud.

I was wondering, do I need 400W or will 300 be fine?

Im after a Nexus NX-3000 ATX Ultra-Quiet PSU 300W from QuietPC.com

I got Athlon 2200+, 256MB PC2700 DDR "Crucial" Ram, Asus A7V333, 40GB 7200RPM Seagate H/D, Maxtor G200, Toshiba DVD-ROM, keyboard, mouse, usb modem, ****ty sound card. Thats about it.

I might upgrade H/D soon... get a second one running. I think this affects what Im tryna do yes? Does it matter how big it is, to how much power I get?

Soooo... will 300W be enough?

Obviously, because the 400W is considerably more £££, I dont want to be splashing out for something I dont necessarily need.

I would suggest 400w, but it is not necessary, and you will run fine untill you add another HDD and CD-ROM with some add on cards. i would look into it down the road.

Well as you only listed a 300W or a 400W I would suggest a 400W. But you could also go with a 350W and be fine.

Im hearing so many different bits of advice.

One company who sells them says 300W will do... the other says 400 - but probably saying that coz they get commission. I got friends saying 400, higher the better... (but the more £££ I spend on it the worse) as Im not rich.

Hmmmmm

I need more opinions.

If I have 2x 40GB seagate hard drives... will I NEED 400W?

Like Maveric said, can't you get a 350W? 300W may be enough for two disks, but then again maybe not.

Try and find one thats is reviewed under a "silent computer" website.

I find none.

boy I'm no electronics expert but if I'm wrong here please correct me....

a lower wattage psu will have to work harder (ie more heat - more noise) to provide the same power needs to a system than a higher wattage psu (running at less than it's max - ie: less heat, less noise)

The big boys here could probably provide the numbers and equations but it's the same as with any power source: a bigger unit will have to work less hard to provide the same power requirements as a smaller "maxed out" unit. So even if you are getting the same amount of juice out of each, it's not the same.

Save your pennies, sell some old crap on eBay, steal from your daddy (just kidding) and get 400+

just my opinion....

kip

Originally posted by jkipk
a lower wattage psu will have to work harder (ie more heat - more noise) to provide the same power needs to a system than a higher wattage psu (running at less than it's max - ie: less heat, less noise)
Acctually afaik this is not the case. The amount of heat (and noice) is only dependant on the amount of energy used by the PSU. If it handles 300W will generate the same amount of heat regarless of if it's a 300W or a 550W PSU.

A friend of mine bought a 550W since he thought it'd be quiter than a 400W. He discovered he was wrong.

However, an expensive 550W may have been "better built" than a cheapo 300W to generate less heats per watt.

i wouldnt run the xp2200 on a 300 W PSU, if it blows you might have a rather large bill to replace said exploded parts. spend the extra tenner and get at least a 400. and what do you call expensice for a PSU ? i sell a 450W twin fan for £27 inc VAT.

Im looking at ones like this

and here.

They are about £100 for 400W which is quite expensive for a computer case... but as in all things electric - you get what you pay for.

I think Im convinced into buying 400W now. :)

Thanks lads.

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your enquiry.

From the specifications you have quoted, you are still within the load bearing
capabilities of most 300W power supplies. I say most because the industry likes
to quote as high a rating as possible for their PSUs hoping that this will
market them more efffectively, even though the rating does not hold true for all
rails at the de facto ratios. The NX-3000 is different as it still has plently
of headroom so that it could have easily been labelled a 350W! We didn't though!

I hope this information is helpful, and if you need anything else then don't
hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Steve Aspris
Halcyonics (UK) Ltd.

:huh:

I would say get the 400W for future proofin, also check out Enermax and Antec as well for PSUs

And take a look at the attachment

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back