New Power Supply

N

Not Bman

I just installed a new power supply (400w) cause my old (300w) just died on me. I turned it on, everything is fine, except that my computer is like 1000 times louder now, like it's almost annoying. My old one was almost quiet, like almost no sound...I can't sleep with it like that....I don't turn it off for different reasons so dont even say that....anywho....umm yea is there someway to make it quiet again or less noisy or something???

Thanks....

Yeah there are ways - they are all dangerous unless you are like a qualified electrical engineer or KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING... and when I say dangerous I do not just mean fry your gear, I mean fry you or start a fire too!

The SAFE solution is to buy well in the first place - you must have a real lemon of a PSU - should have bought a Tagan or similar like Seasonic IMHO. Anyway - if you DO TRULY want to try the first option of modding post back and I'll sort a link to a place I know....

I am hoping you will choose the safe option and spend some dough to buy wisely this time....

Bman™ said:
I just installed a new power supply (400w) cause my old (300w) just died on me. I turned it on, everything is fine, except that my computer is like 1000 times louder now, like it's almost annoying. My old one was almost quiet, like almost no sound...I can't sleep with it like that....I don't turn it off for different reasons so dont even say that....anywho....umm yea is there someway to make it quiet again or less noisy or something???

Thanks....
I had a noise problem when I upgraded my PSU.

Only real way I found to make it quiet was to switch to another brand. Originally i had an Antec 350w which was very quiet, but when I moved up to my new mobo I opted for a 600w PSU from Fry's.

It was really loud though, so I ended up returning it and getting an Antec 420w True Power which is Really quiet. Can't even tell it's on.

u guys might think im weird, but i dont mind my computer making noise, i have a blower fan which makes a cool sound, and 2 fans under my hdd one in the front of the case and one at the back with leds. i dont like to sacrafise performance over noise, i really dont care, my fans are always cranked to the max

Sorry themafia.69, can you repeat, can't quite hear what you said over the noise :cheeky:

my PC ain't that quite either. not very loud, but not exactly what anyone would consider a "noise-free environment". i mean, how could you expect it to be noise free? 5 case fans, 3 of which are 92mm, and 2 of which are 80mm. then there's the hard drive, and my Ultra X-Connect 500w power supply with 2 80mm fans. as well as my GPU fan, CPU fan, Northbridge fan.. (j/k. who can ever hear their NB fan?), and the occasional vibration from my case coming from a location that is yet unknown to me. yah.... that's quite a lot of stuff that can cause noise. and the fact that my case has a mesh window in the side, and not plexiglass or something of the sort, don't help that either, but the case is SWEET!

I've heard the roar of my PCs for so long, I can't sleep without the noise :(

Adamas said:
Sorry themafia.69, can you repeat, can't quite hear what you said over the noise :cheeky:

LOL. :p

Some people can only tollerate a certain amount of noise before losing it.
Like Bman, I can never leave me desktop on overnight and get some proper sleep with all the noise looming over me.
It's not just the PSU that's causing all the noise, it's also the case and gfx fans.

I'm just not really used to it...Each one i had, the old 300W and the new 400W are both noname PSU's. I never really cared about the company or anything. This new one only costed me 20 bucks because of where I work. But if it really makes a difference in the noice then maybe I'll think about getting a different one.

I do not care about the company either Bman - but I DO CARE about the QUALITY (and with no-name it is a bit of a lucky dip and, as you have learnt, they may compromise on quality of fan bearings etc, which for me is a very impoortant part of a PSU)

David, what graphics card is that? one of the A400 series? why does the whole HSF look metal?

ming said:
LOL. :p

Some people can only tollerate a certain amount of noise before losing it.
Like Bman, I can never leave me desktop on overnight and get some proper sleep with all the noise looming over me.
It's not just the PSU that's causing all the noise, it's also the case and gfx fans.
fish cant sleep with any sounds.

too bad they didn't keep the metal look of the whole thing with the A400 series. :-/ WHY Leadtek... WHY?!?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back