new memory caused file corrupt

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kingsam, Jan 11, 2003.

1. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

I just put an extra 512 stick of kingston memory in my mates pc,with his 256stick,and we had problems so took the 512 stick out now when windows xp has boooted up it comes up windows has found a corrupted file(cant remember the name),run check disk.Ran check disc and it doesnt fix it,any suggestions please,cant access system restore,so is it a format or what,please help.Many thanks.

2. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

File Missing?

I just put an extra 512 stick of kingston memory in my mates pc,with his 256stick,and we had problems so took the 512 stick out now when windows xp has boooted up it comes up windows has found a corrupted file(cant remember the name),run check disk.Ran check disc and it doesnt fix it,it hangs for a while then comes up with that error message,any suggestions please,cant access system restore,so is it a format or what,please help.Many thanks.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

let the computer boot from the xp cd. then go about repairing your installation. everything should remain intact.

4. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

Repair

I dont know anything about the repair mode, i know how to get to it,but thats it.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i didn't mean the repair console. yeah, i don't know how to use that either. just try installing windows normally.. and it will ask you if you want to format or install over the current system files or something... pretty sure.

6. allan

allan Guest

Need the file name.

7. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

8. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

run the Add Hardware wizard in the control panel.

9. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

kingsam only post this once and wait for a reply. Do not post the same problem multiple times in different threads.