New Mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by EuroTrash, Jun 20, 2006.

1. EuroTrash

EuroTrash Coaster Live!

Aight gang, I just bought myself a G4 iBook 12.1" 1.33ghz for about $600. :devious: Pretty stoked cause my last one was jacked after about 2 weeks of having it. So now I ask you guys what I need to get for it as well as the apps/programs that I need to put on it. Also what games are gonna be ok to play on it? (World of Warcraft? Quake 4?) I see what SPeedY_B has posted, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

The apps you need is kind of subjective based on what you do, but these are ones I suggest.

Free
    Flip4Mac - WMV player
    VLC (VideoLAN Client)
    Camino - alternative browser
    CandyBar - easily change icons
    Gmail Notifier - if you have a Gmail account
    Proteus - all-in-one IM client
    Textwrangler - code editor (if you do any web stuff)

Not Free
    iLife
    iWork
    Transmit - FTP client
    Roxio Toast Titanium

3. EuroTrash

EuroTrash Coaster Live!

cool stuff, I was looking at a couple of those. I thought about picking up the microsoft office for it or would that be a waste? I guess I wouldn't need to if there was a converter for office documents to work on it, that is if they don't already.

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

You can export Pages (iWork) documents into Microsoft Word format. The only reason I could see needing Office would be for Excel -- don't get it for Word or PowerPoint.

5. EuroTrash

EuroTrash Coaster Live!

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

6. EuroTrash

EuroTrash Coaster Live!

Still though, does anyone know of any good games that work w/ it? I know WoW works w/ macs but what about my model?

7. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

They have those for mac?!?

Apps - I would recomend to get Azureus if you use torrents, and also Taco HTML edit if you plan to do any web designing- I highly recommend downloading GIMP whether you like playing with pics or not because sooner or later you will find a use for it.

All of the above are free. Plus go to download.com and look at the mac section. They have the best of free downloads updated often.

EDIT: also, a good ftp client alternative would be CyberDuck. It's open source and it's pretty decent. I've been using it now for a few months and really like it.

8. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

SubEthaEdit

9. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

TextMate
    OmniGraffle
    Audio Hijack
    Colloquy
    Proteus
    EvoCam
    Handbrake
    VLC
    AppZapper (great for uninstalling apps, really worth it)

Jets'n'Guns is a pretty fun retro game

10. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

http://adiumx.com/ FTW.

On games, you're not going to be playing games such as Q4 on an iBook, it struggles along on my Dual G4 PowerMac :D On my iBook, I've played Quake 1/2/3, The Sims 2 (low settings), Doom 3 (ultra-low settings), UT 2003/2004... not very demanding games.

As for apps, if you need an app for a specific need, then ask for that, else people will be recommending applications to perform tasks you may never need :)

11. macfan141ibook

macfan141ibook OSNN Junior Addict

i play diablo 2, world of warcraft and lots of other high graphics games on a 1.33 ppc ibook g4, and its fine