New Mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by Bman, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Just curious, never cared for them, might get one for graphic design. Didn't feel like searching around, so thought I'd ask here.

How much does the top of the line Macintosh Apple computer cost (canadian)?

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

http://www.apple.com/ca/

Check out the Power Mac G5.

By the way, I don't think it's a good idea to get a top of the line Mac (or Windows equivalent) if you're just starting out with graphic design. Unless you have thousands of dollars that you would rather just burn, or many lucrative clients lined up :p

3. Bman

not really just starting off in graphic design, just taking courses to be an "real" one you know. Also, I'm really just researching right now anyways.

Thanks man!

4. Bman

I just went to the store, picked out what I'd really want from them, it came to $9,447.00 ......holy crap!!

5. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

That's what I meant :lick:

Right now is not such a good time to be buying a Mac. Don't know if you've heard, but Apple is switching to Intel for its processors and they are slowing replacing all their machines with Intel chips.

Right now only the iMac, and the MacBook Pro are with the Intel chips.

Also, the software for OSX is all being converted to run on the Intel chips, and that too will take a bit of time.

Haha, well...it's Apple. Not known for generous pricing :D

6. Bman

yea I heard about the whole intel thing, is it soppose to bring prices down? Or was I just hearing crap..

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Just wait until April.

8. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Power Mac G5 Quad (4 processors) with 16GB of RAM -- that's what you need. If you get the video card that lets you run dual 30" displays then you're really set. I think you can get it for right around $20,000. Is that inside your budget?

Seriously though, like ^^those guys are saying, wait for the PowerMac to go Intel. Adobe has decided not to convert CS2 to run on Intel Macs. CS3, which is coming out this year or early next year, will be written for Intel Macs. Even more reason to wait. :)

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

the number one reason to get a mac: TextMate...

I don't think I've seen a more awsome editor.

It's got me looking at the mac mini :p

10. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I am a bit fan of SubEthaEdit myself, sometimes I miss it's functionality in other editors

11. Bman

I cant wait till I get pick one up lol, don't know how long that will take but yea. Seems pretty neat, they have gotten much better then those old macs. I always have hated macs.

12. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Same as X, always use SEE myself, have heard TextMate mentioned a few times though, might give it a try.