New Laptop

there's 3 diff models with most cases

"cash discount price" is if you are paying with cash/cheque and not a credit card then that is the price, most stores have about 3% off if you pay with cash/debit kinda thing

the differen't prices you see are because diff versions..all the same laptop..just lower processor..or middle class..or high end..thats about it for the price differences..

8790-C
17" WSXGA+ Active Matrix LCD
Pentium® 4 3.0 GHz 800 FSB (3.2GHZ option)
512MB 400DDR RAM

8790-S
Pentium® 4 3.4 GHz 800 FSB
1024MB 400DDR RAM

8790-V
Pentium® 4 3.4 GHz EXTREME Edition 800 FSB
1024MB 400DDR RAM

look at the processors and the ram..thats why they have diff price options..low mid and high end of the same notebook depending on what you need ;)

dont have to buy it if u dun want it..i got from em so jus wanted to help u guys out with a good deal ..up to you

Gary Pandher,

Thanks for clarifying what the cash discount price meant. I've never heard of this sort of practice before and I got extremely confused as to why there was 2 other prices (this and the configured price) than the base price on all the computers when you clicked on the buy/configure button. Sorry if I confused you with what I was talking about in the previous post :eek:

its coo

late replies cuz im on 2 forums..and uni..and exams coming up..so busy lol

Well just a bit of an update here on the new laptop situation. Looks like I won't be getting it after all cuz the company who's in charge of the stock stuff has been jerking me around for over the past 6 weeks now and I'm really starting to get pissed.

In their letter it said I'd get the money in three weeks after I sent them all the paperwork they needed. Then they told me it would be 4-6 weeks when I called them on the phone after the money didn't show up after 4 weeks. Now they told me they'd have to look into why I didn't get the money yet when I called today (Wednesday).

Well Thanks to everyone who helped me anyway.

The laptop hunt is back on officially. (yes the money finally came last week) I've narrowed down my choices between the Alienware Area-51 7700 and the Sager NP9860-S2 offered at discount laptops. Anyway I need some advice here. I can't decide which to go with. The Sager is gonna be coming out with the newer version of the 6800go soon (the one with ddr3 memory), about $300 cheaper, already offers the 3.8g p4 processor, offers SATA Hard drives, and can be bought with accidental damage insurance through discount laptops (which is why I picked this seller though Gary Pandher posted info from another one). But on the other side, the alienware comes with the option for separate bluetooth and wifi, a V .92 modem instead of a V .90, several external sound card options, is currently in stock (unlike the Sager), and offers free shipping.

Alienware Area-51 7700 specs:
3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service Bundled with AlienAutopsy and Respawn

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Area-51m 7700 Case with 17" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Display with Built-in Camera - Xeno Grey - Includes Clearview Enhanced Display Technology

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 560 w/ HT Technology 3.6GHz 1MB Cache

Intel® 915P Chipset Supporting PCI-Express

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB

Area-51m 7700 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go with 256MB of DDR memory

Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with 7.1 surround sound

80GB 5400 RPM ATA100

24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder

8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software

USB Floppy Drive

Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet NIC

56K Modem with V.92 Technology

Microsoft® Office 2003 Small Business Edition

Belkin® Bluetooth™ USB Adapter

Microsoft® IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 - USB - Saucer Silver

3DMark®05 Professional

Price: $3,772.00

Sager NP9860-S2 specs:
17" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Active Matrix Wide Screen Display (Glossy Screen)

3.6 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 HT (PLGA775) Processor w/ 1MB cache

256MB ATi MOBILITY™ RADEON® X800 Graphics Card / 16x PCI-Express

80 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

1024 MB DDR SDRAM (533 MHz, PC-4200, Dual Channel) (2x512MB)

External USB Floppy Drive

Internal 8X DVD / 24X CDRW / 24X CD-ROM Combo Drive w/ Software

8x DVD+/- R/Rw (Dual Layer) / CDRW Combo Drive

Built in 56k V.90 Modem

Built in 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet / LAN Network Card

FREE! - W-Fi Lan Card 802.11g w/ Turbo Mode (108 Mbps) + Bluetooth Combo Card

Integrated Video Camera / 7-in-1 Card Reader / Internal Subwoofer Module

Microsoft Windows Xp Professional

3 year on-site extended warranty with help desk

MS Office 2003 Small Business Edition

Mouse- External PS/2 4D Optical Scroller Mouse

Price: $3484.00 (cash price)
$3573.33 (credit card price)

Just looking at what you posted it would seem the Alienware is a better deal has you said they have in stock etc. The alienware seems to offer a better deal on the tech support side. I would say go with Allienware seems to offer pretty much everything the Sager does and not as many things that you might never use

Yeah I was kinda favoring the alienware. The main drawbacks to me is that it's a lil under $300 more than a comparably configured sager and because alienware is known to have long waits, it might not ship any earlier than if I went with the sager which will be back in stock soon according to discountlaptops.

Oh well looks like it's time for a game of eenie meenie minie mo here :laugh:

Anyway I have a list of questions I was hoping some nice soul would help me with. :nervous:
Is there really a noticeable difference between a 5400rpm SATA drive and a 5400rpm ATA100 Drive performance-wise if they're both the same size? If so will it really matter/be noticed?

Is there a big difference between the V .90 modem and the V .92?

Would something this big need a cooling pad under it to keep the exhaust fans from becoming flamethrowers? (my current lappie's exhaust can be used as a handwarmer at times)

for the modem as far as I know there is not much of improvement between v.90 and v.92

As for a coolingpad I know that my IBM Pentium III laptop gets a bit warm but I have not felt the need for a coolingpad. You should be able to get them locally if you feel you need it.

The major difference right now between SATA and ATA100 is more the size of the cable which will improve airflow if you go with SATA

Glad I was able to offer some advice at least

The world is coming to an end and we're all goin to heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I've made a decision on what lappie I'm gonna get. I decided to go with the Alienware.

Cool, will be interested in your thoughts on it. Enjoy it when you get it

Ok time for a little thread resurrection here.

I finally got to order my lappy *insert yay here* and it's supposed to be arriving on next Wednesday (4/27) from sunny Florida via Fed-ex *insert bigger yay and excited hopping here*. :D

So I'll let everyone know what I think of the beast (and it is gonna be a beast at around 12 pounds) when I get it and get everything installed.

This is so gonna be a major improvement to my old laptop(which will need a new home after it's replacement gets here :lol: )

*does happy dance out of thread*

say, didnt you first post this thread like 3 0r 4 months ago?

thats a long time to just decide on what to get.
anyways gud luck with yer new lappy!! daymmm i sooo jealous, wish i could afford a $5000 lappy....come to think of it good thing i cant! IMOH ur insane to buy a lappy for that much! i mean its gonna get "old-tech" in a mtter of months............

But uv already ordered it so........................... ill just mind my own business :(

Elektro Slime said:
say, didnt you first post this thread like 3 0r 4 months ago?

thats a long time to just decide on what to get.
anyways gud luck with yer new lappy!! daymmm i sooo jealous, wish i could afford a $5000 lappy....come to think of it good thing i cant! IMOH ur insane to buy a lappy for that much! i mean its gonna get "old-tech" in a mtter of months............

But uv already ordered it so........................... ill just mind my own business :(

Yep this was started about 3-4 months ago, but unfortunately I had other issues that had to be addressed before I could order the laptop (like having to wait for the money, me getting sick for awhile with my asthma, having to wait out my gram's indecision about which weekend to pay her house taxes(she'd say she wants to go take care of the check for the taxes all week then cancel at the last minute), etc.). I have a life and lotsa stuff happens.:p

And as far as the price goes, it wasn't $5000. That's just the top limit I put on the purchase price for the system. It cost $3760 and some change (though I'll get a mail in rebate on the shipping for like $99 so that makes the total price $3662 if you round up.).

I'm not really worried about this thing being "on the bleeding edge" either. I purchased it because I wanted a system that I would have for more than just a year or two before I needed to buy a new computer to keep up with my changing needs (darn The Sims for getting me interested in computer games :lol: ).

And besides my new lappy can be my new exercise weight just as soon as I can find a messenger bag big enough for it that I like :p

oh yay I almost forgot I'm jealous of everyone who was a place for a desktop :lol:

Well congrats on the new lappy. Well I do wish I had the money to get a nice future proof for a couple of years laptop

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back