new ip with cable internet

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tuffgong4, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

if I wanted to get a new ip so people stop scanning me do I just restart my cable modem?

2. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

It all depends on your ISP. Some ISP's will change if you power cycle the modem, others only do it after "X" number of days, others you can send the release/renew command to get a new IP.

3. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Change your mac address, and reboot the modem. Should be set then.

4. Tuffgong4

thanks guys

5. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Getting a new IP won't stop anyone from scanning you. If you use a router or a firewall, you could disable ICMP traffic so you are unpingable, which could help.

6. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Wait, just thought of something. How do you know someone is scanning you? If you have detection software to detect scans, that same software should be able to block them too.

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Also what kind of "scans" are they? I'm afraid to say depending on your ISP these days changing your IP won't stop you from random scanning by zombie machines.

8. Tuffgong4

does that effect anything else, Like what programs would stop working if I did that and if I had the programs that would be effected(affected)

9. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

It shouldn't affect any programs, all Linksys routers disable ICMP traffic by default. Note that this isn't 100% foolproof, but alot of port scanners will try and ping the target first to see if its there, and if its not, it moves on.

10. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Nothing will be affected at all.
    Go here and run tests and if you come out full stealth then your are invisible to everyone.
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I run full stealth and still get scans in my firewall log but no big deal to me as I know they can't get in. ;)

You will always get scans as some is just from traffic and some is the ISP security making sure no one on the system that should not be.

But if you are full stealth then no worries.