New HDD not booting

• Thread starter Powerchordpunk
  • Start date
Well that a little odd that with the old hard drive set as slave that it boots to it, I've never had that problem. Well since you can't seem to have the old drive hooked up and beable to boot from the new one, so once your sure everything is good to go with the new one put the old one in another system and format it.

you can select in my bios to boot from either master or any slave drive.

Ok I forgot about that setting but according to what you posted you said that when the old hard drive and the new are hooked up at the sametime that it still boots off the old harddrive instead of the new one or at least thats the way I read it. So you should have your BIOS set to boot from the primary master hard drive and if you can then duoble check and make sure there is nothing that you want on the old drive then under administrative tools, computer management, disk management, and then find the disk you want to format and format it using Windows XP disk tools

it will boot from slave (old drive) but won't boot from new drive when its set to master and both drives are in at the same time. To boot with both in, I can only go into bios and set it to boot from slave, as booting from master says "no operating system found." Bios autoconfigures to boot from master, but i have to change it to slave when both drives are in.

Well it sounds like your MBR is not on the new drive. As to how to fix it I'm not sure. Actually I know of a way don't I'm not sure if its what you should be doing, will have to do a little research on this. Well you could always reformat the new drive and retry ghosting it.

ok problem solved y'all. just had to boot with new drive alone. I guess it changed some settings. (changed the drive to c) Then all I had to do was put the old drive back in and it works fine. Thanks for everyones help.

Glad to hear you got your problem fixed Powerchordpunk. Glad I was able to give you some ideas as to try. Enjoy your new larger harddrive

Geeez, That simple... Just use one HDD. :p Glad to hear it Powerchordpunk. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back