new hdd install

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mooo, Mar 22, 2004.

1. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

I am trying to put in a new 80gig hd in a windows ME box, I put it in, then set it as slave, bios reconizes it. Windows boots up and i expect the "new hardware found" box to come up or something saying generic hard disk, but nothing. I go to device manager I see
    Primary IDE controller
    Secondary IDE controller

so its up, but i have to format it.. I try and go to MMC like in XP but it doesn't work.. soooo now to the question, how do i install the hd in ME?

edit:: this might need to be moved to OS or other hardware, forgot all about those was kind of in a hurry to post :(

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

well since the HD isnt formatted, ME wont see it. You need to reboot to command prompt (or use a 98 boot disk). Once in the command prompt then you can format it. Make sure you dont format c:\ hehehe

3. penguin

penguin g0t r00t?

You will need to use fdisk from a boot disk to create a partition before ME will see it. Once you create the partition you can format it from the same boot disk or from within ME.

4. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

actually, i'm pretty sure this can be done from the command prompt without a boot disk (just don't touch the disk the OS is on)

5. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

damn no wonder ;p
    i just went to cmd from windows dir and didn't boot out.. thanks for the help