new hd tv

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by iceman7311, Jul 12, 2006.

1. iceman7311

iceman7311 OSNN Senior Addict

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

You do know it's a tube tv and not an LCD or plasma right?

3. iceman7311

yes a lcd and plasma are both way out of my price range.

4. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

hehe... Do you have any idea how heavy those flat tube tvs are? Just hope you will never have to move it after installation. All in all though, it's a nice choice :D

5. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

After looking at its specs and did a little research. if you are planning to get your HD broadcast channels though your cable provider you should be good. the only draw back i found is if you have a cable line in, you have to unplug the cable line to hook in an antenna and then go into the menu and switch over to "Air". but again, if you gave HD through the cable you're in business :)

for a CRT its not to bad for the price, the blacks and dark colors should be nice in HD.

nice set:)

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

One problem: nothing mentioned on the television about 720p. 1080i is a fine and dandy resolution, but playing your Xbox360 or other HD games or watching 720p broadcasts isn't going to look as great at 30 frames per second as it would look at 60 FPS.

Just looked at the Toshiba website, and it indeed doesn't do 720p. Don't make the mistake I did with my 30" Panasonic Tau television (ARRRRRRGHH)...make sure the TV you get does 720p.

The framerate is just as important as the resolution. Watch a broadcast at 60FPS or play Grand Theft Auto with the frame limiter off and on. Things look way different.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  7. iceman7311

well damnit, i thought this was the one. where do you see that it doesn't do 720p?

Can anyone suggest another good tv for about $500? it must be widescreen and hd and about 30 inches. (27 or 26 would be ok)

8. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

720p doesnt mean 60 fps, all broadcasts are 29.97 dropframe (30fps).

1080i being interlaced means every other frame is every other line of resolution. so 1080 lines of resolution, but only have half the total picture per frame. Interlaced systems suffer from problem where faces and other slow moving high contrast objects look like jelo or something. (I have this problem with my CRT HD).

720p or other Progressive scan setups do all the lines of resolution in one frame, but there is less detail per frame. Its a toss up which one looks better though, since one has more lines of detail but is spread out the other is less lines of rez... but all at once.

Interlaced Video
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

Progressive Scan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Scan

9. iceman7311

ah so the tv might still be a good choice?

10. Aprox

Its a fine tv, It could be better sure... but for that kind of money I am sure it will serve you just fine.

11. iceman7311

are we sure it can't do 720p? i looked at their website and i didn't see anywhere where it talked about supported formats other than 1080i.

12. Aprox

Its a 1080i TV, not a 720p TV.

13. Petros

Petros Thief IV

14. Aprox

Hmm interesting, I have never heard of 720p50 or 60. Interesting information.

15. iceman7311

can't alot of 1080i tvs do 720p?

16. iceman7311

well damnit guys the sale is already over and the tv now cost $120 more. i don't think i want to pay 600 so the search contunies.

edit: if any of you all come across a tv like this toshiba for about 500 could you please pm me, if not don't worry about it.

17. iceman7311

18. Aprox

You would need to consult some reviews of the products or talk to people who own one to make that decision. It could be quality of the TV's or just brand name prices.

19. iceman7311

is sayno a good brand name?

20. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

I've always thought of Sanyo as a middle of the road Brand name.