new hd tv

hehe... Do you have any idea how heavy those flat tube tvs are? Just hope you will never have to move it after installation. All in all though, it's a nice choice :D

After looking at its specs and did a little research. if you are planning to get your HD broadcast channels though your cable provider you should be good. the only draw back i found is if you have a cable line in, you have to unplug the cable line to hook in an antenna and then go into the menu and switch over to "Air". but again, if you gave HD through the cable you're in business :)

for a CRT its not to bad for the price, the blacks and dark colors should be nice in HD.

nice set:)

One problem: nothing mentioned on the television about 720p. 1080i is a fine and dandy resolution, but playing your Xbox360 or other HD games or watching 720p broadcasts isn't going to look as great at 30 frames per second as it would look at 60 FPS.

Just looked at the Toshiba website, and it indeed doesn't do 720p. Don't make the mistake I did with my 30" Panasonic Tau television (ARRRRRRGHH)...make sure the TV you get does 720p.

The framerate is just as important as the resolution. Watch a broadcast at 60FPS or play Grand Theft Auto with the frame limiter off and on. Things look way different.

Last edited:
well damnit, i thought this was the one. where do you see that it doesn't do 720p?

Can anyone suggest another good tv for about $500? it must be widescreen and hd and about 30 inches. (27 or 26 would be ok)

Last edited:
720p doesnt mean 60 fps, all broadcasts are 29.97 dropframe (30fps).

1080i being interlaced means every other frame is every other line of resolution. so 1080 lines of resolution, but only have half the total picture per frame. Interlaced systems suffer from problem where faces and other slow moving high contrast objects look like jelo or something. (I have this problem with my CRT HD).

720p or other Progressive scan setups do all the lines of resolution in one frame, but there is less detail per frame. Its a toss up which one looks better though, since one has more lines of detail but is spread out the other is less lines of rez... but all at once.

Interlaced Video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

Progressive Scan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Scan

Its a fine tv, It could be better sure... but for that kind of money I am sure it will serve you just fine.

are we sure it can't do 720p? i looked at their website and i didn't see anywhere where it talked about supported formats other than 1080i.

Hmm interesting, I have never heard of 720p50 or 60. Interesting information.

well damnit guys the sale is already over and the tv now cost $120 more. i don't think i want to pay 600 so the search contunies.

edit: if any of you all come across a tv like this toshiba for about 500 could you please pm me, if not don't worry about it.

Last edited:
You would need to consult some reviews of the products or talk to people who own one to make that decision. It could be quality of the TV's or just brand name prices.

I've always thought of Sanyo as a middle of the road Brand name.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back