New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wessleym, Oct 25, 2003.

1. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

What is the best and fastest 80 gigabyte hard drive I could buy that does NOT use SCSI?.

2. Pasty901

Pasty901 Guest

3. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

But the Barracuda is an Ultra ATA/100. Doesn't that 100 mean it has a maximum bandwidth of 100 megabytes per second? I've seen others with Ultra ATA/133, 133 megabytes per second. Also, the Barracuda only has a 2-megabyte buffer. I've seen ones with 8-megabyte buffers. Are you sure Barracudas are the best, or just the best value? Again, to anyone else who posts, I'd like the fastest and best drive out there that doesn't use SCSI. Thanks Pasty and anyone else who replies.

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

5. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Thanks, HandyBuddy, but I'm not sure that's big enough. It's only 36 gigabytes, right? But that's probably the fastest hard drive out there. If it were only bigger, that'd probably be the one I'd want? Thanks again. Does anybody have any other ideas?

6. Vector_One

Vector_One Guest

You didn't say whether it had to be ATA or SATA.

And yes, you should absolutely get one with an 8Meg cache.

And - this is in the wrong forum. :eek:

7. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

I'm trying to look at both SATA and Ultra ATA. My Alienware will do both, and I'm trying to just find the best out there.

8. Vector_One

Vector_One Guest

9. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

I would get the WesternDigital 800JB. Its 80GB Parallel ATA/133 with 8MB Cache.

JJB

10. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

11. Petros

Petros Thief IV

$110 for a 160GB 7200 RPM Samsung (a brand I own and love for their quietness :D) at this site if you want to check it out, too.

12. rnielsen151

rnielsen151 OSNN Junior Addict

Sometime in November Western Digital is going to release a 74GB version of the Raptor.

13. kyndl7

kyndl7 OSNN Junior Addict

IBM/Hitachi Deskstar are the faster of the ata hard drives

14. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Hey, thanks, rnielsen151. That's music to my ears. The Raptors seemed like an awesome drive during my last few days of researching. I guess I'll wait until November unless somebody else knows something. Thanks, everybody!