new disk drive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dadecamp, Nov 14, 2003.

1. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

I just got a new disk drive and am wondering if it is posible to move everything from the old to the new dive and have it be the boot drive without doing a reinstall of the operating system. The existing system is running win 98 on a 2.1 gig hard drive. The new drive is a ata100 40gig.

If this is posible, how.

Thanks

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Yes it is if you use an application like nortons ghost and make a clone of the old drive to the new drive

3. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

yea u would have to make the first partition o nthe new drive the exact same size, as the old drive.

Norton Ghost
    or
    Drive Image bothwill do the job nicely

:)

4. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

I'm cheap :eek: any free options?:rolleyes:

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Nope, no need for that. Works just as well with a full 40Gig partition.

6. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

For new drives the easiest free way to transfer is to use the software that comes with your Hard disk. e.g. Seagate Discwizard. Check out website.

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I believe that windows 98SE cannot support a drive that large. FAT32 has size limitations. You would have to partition a few times to use FAT32. If you had windows 2000 or XP you could use NTFS which will suport it.

8. coathanger007

40GB is definitely supported. Perhaps you're referring to a BIOS limitation.

9. Shamus MacNoob

I beleive it is 32Gb max for a fat32 partition

10. Shamus MacNoob

In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.

The problem is with winxp it cannot format past 32Gb for fat 32

11. Shamus MacNoob

In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

you can read it here at microsoft

12. coathanger007

Partition Magic overcomes this.

13. Shamus MacNoob

Yes or if it is formatted under a different OS , so I would think a win98 boot up disc and fdisk would work also

14. kitct

kitct Guest

Hdd disk manager does it too.I jus did a 40g WD hdd w/a WD hdd Disk Manger floppy.Jus download from manufac of your hdd.

XP would only do NTFS until it was first done by WD.

PM wouldnt do it for me either(till after WD did it first).

Fdisk, format is so slow! Maybe 45 min./40g hdd. Disk Manager takes about 1-2 min./done!

15. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

You can create a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB with FDISK. Some BIOSes have a limit of disk size too, but that should of been fixed a long time ago. XP with SP1 or 2k with SP3 fixed the limitation of 137GB. Also note that the maximum file size FAT32 supports is somewhere around 1-3GB, I forget. NTFS can have a file as large as the partition itself.