New Computer

I can vouch for the motherboard...got two of them (one in my system, one in my brother's). I recommend the overclocked MSI 8800GT. You could get a power supply that does what you want for about $70 or less and put the rest of that money into a 9800GTX instead.

Last edited:
don't use the Pseries boards with anythinf greater than a E6600 :) You'll slow down the processor!

I would agree with Lord - especially if you are going to game and you are going to have a quad core CPU, don't cheap out on the motherboard. Not that you need to, but if you can swing it I would go with the x48 chipset from Intel -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=x48

That's really one of the bottlenecks you can put yourself in if you get a lower grade mobo compared to what you can get.

First, Derek and Lord, where are you getting this information about the processor being slowed down? Sure, maybe there won't be all the features but I've been scouring benchmarks for this board and similar and while it's not exactly the most overclockable or feature-rich board in the world, it doesn't affect stock performance.

But, if additional features are needed, a better board is the way to go.

Fenris, if there is a Fry's near you, consider checking out processors there. Quad 6600's are $189.

First, Derek and Lord, where are you getting this information about the processor being slowed down? Sure, maybe there won't be all the features but I've been scouring benchmarks for this board and similar and while it's not exactly the most overclockable or feature-rich board in the world, it doesn't affect stock performance.

When intel first released the p35 they said that processors from E6600 and up should stick to i975x until the x38/x48 was available as the p35 would limit memory performance with them.

So for E6600 and higher you want the following chipsets:

i975x, ix38, ix48, nforce 680i, nforce 780i.

Just out of curiosity Fenris, how much is that all going to run you?

that would require me to do math.. this is a forum.. I want instant gratification with little work. :p

edit: that power supply looks sexy

When intel first released the p35 they said that processors from E6600 and up should stick to i975x until the x38/x48 was available as the p35 would limit memory performance with them.

So for E6600 and higher you want the following chipsets:

i975x, ix38, ix48, nforce 680i, nforce 780i.

The 680i is the most bug-plagued platform in history. You are asking him to avoid the p35 and then invest in the 680i?

I am not sure that is wise :)

Also, I have personally never heard of any memory performance issues. As I mentioned, all benchmarks I have seen of the lower/mid/high-end p35 boards show consistent performance in all scenarios. The lower end items may not OC as high but I have not seen anything backing up what you are saying Lord.

Please provide links with concrete proof.

-edit-

An article discussing the memory performance of the p35 chipset.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2991

Last edited:
Not sure what the price is I haven't bothered to add it up. I'll look at other motherboards and read some more tests I always have a hard time picking out motherboards since I don't like them to be too feature heavy which a lot of the nforce ones are. The only reason I went with the quad core instead of the E6600 was because it was $20 cheaper for some reason and had better bench marks by a few FPS on all the tests i saw. I also do a lot of multi tasking when i play MMOs so figured quad might come in handy. Sadly I wont have a fry's near me again until early September which is to far away to wait for a new computer. I have to get back to work now, I'll add everything up when I get home tonight fitz.

I'm having a hard time finding an SLI motherboard that supports the memory i am going to use. most of them seem to be crossfire. I am reading up on the p35 board that I was looking at in the first place to see if I can find anything out suggesting I don't use it. So far I have found this one to use instead of the p35 board, however it isn't an SLI which for the money I would rather it was. I am tempted to upgrade to the DDR3 memory since i saw some motherboards that support that type that did SLI as well. The DDR3 is still quite expensive and not too many options though.
Newegg.com - ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Well I just checked the first motherboards memory support page and it doesnt have the G.skill listed as supported so I'm guessing that board is out anyway.

Do you HAVE to SLi?

Regarding the memory, as long as it follows JEDEC specs, you should, technically, be fine.

I would contact the manufacturer if in doubt, I called CORSAIR about my memory because I wanted to ensure it would work at the latencies I wanted it to.

I don't really need SLI since at the moment I am only getting one card, but if in the future I decide to throw another in there it would be nice to have it since it has two pci16 slots its just for crossfire sadly. Theres some people in the reviews section that said G.skill works just fine with it, thats what they put in so i guess i am still alright.

These prices are wayyyy too high. Why do you need to Overclock a C2Q?!

www.fatwallet.com find the forums and visit "hot deals"... Dells usually top out at $500 for a C2Q, 3gigs, 500g sata, on-board video w/open PCI-E16

My pc is humming along nicely on a 680i SLI.

That link is 965/p35. The 965 is slower than the p35.

I'll dig up links for 975 vs p35 later, I'm heading out shortly.

Why overclock a C2D? Are you serious?

My E6400 is running 3.2Ghz with just .2 more voltage and the memory is pumping out a whole set lower of timings with the same .2 increase. Take a $110 chip and make it run like a $210 chip for free. It is almost physically the same chip but with a different multiplier and voltage and 4Mb less l2 that doesn't do much in real life performance against higher clock speeds. I have hit 3.8 with another two tenths voltage and a minimal increase in temps. I don't do much to benefit from the extra speed though and I hate the minor amount of noise that comes with it when running F@H.

Really the question is why buy a top notch chip when a lower priced one will perform as well or better with a minor understanding of how everything works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back