New Computer

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
My daughter wants to purchase her own computer (YIPPEEEE!!!) and well, since I'm the computer dummy of XP-erinece :) I'm looking for suggestions. She wants pretty inexpensive...she'll be using it for school work and of course surfing the net and chatting.

Since I work for a company where I can purchase hardware/software at good prices,...gimme your suggestions, please :)

Heh, guess it would help you all if I told ya huh? I'm gonna build it (and it's gonna blow up lol) :)

I'm thinking of building a new one too. I haven't finished researhing it yet, but I'm leaning toward an ASUS motherboard. Once you know the motherboard the rest is dictated by that.

See here's my plan. She pays for all the new sutff and I take it and put it in my computer, muhahahaha. I'm a terrible mom for even thinking that

Originally posted by Jewelzz
See here's my plan. She pays for all the new sutff and I take it and put it in my computer, muhahahaha. I'm a terrible mom for even thinking that
he he. That's our Deputy Mayor!

Something to consider... be sure you pick up on a couple NIC cards and a crossover cable so you can share stuff from machine to machine - WAY easier then the ol' 'floppy jog.'

I just 'borrow' the NIC cards and whatever else I can from work ;)

Originally posted by Jewelzz
I just 'borrow' the NIC cards and whatever else I can from work ;)
They wouldn't happen to have an Asus A7M266-D with say 512mb ddr with both mp2000 cpu's just happened to already be plugged in, by chance? I'll pay shipping, of course. :D

I wish, but I get the stuff at a pretty decent price :)

I do a lot of my shopping on Ebay. So far I've had really good fortune there by not getting shafted. But I do read feedback carefully and protect myself by using PayPal, stuff like that.

I've gotten smaller priced items on ebay, well except for my digital camera. I'd be a lil leery of purchasing a computer or the hardware from there. I'd be the one person to get screwed over with a piece of crap. Besides, this is for my daughter, if she wants to spend the money, who am I to stop her :p

Jewellz

Hey I just ordered a new Athlon XP 1800+ Retail for 123 Shipped, I thought that was a great deal... :)

ATHLON XP's ALL THE WAY!

XPNuT

I have to look to see if I can find a link.
But there is a very small "mini" computer that comes barebones.
All you have to add is a hard drive, cd-rom, floppy(?), and OS.

The video, NIC, sound are all on board.
It's not very expandable but they come in different flavors of PIIIs and Celerons. Did I just recomend an Intel Product?

All for about $260 local, I'm sure it can be found on-line cheaper.

jewelzz, computors are so competent nowadays, and this is her first computor...plus, for the most part, it'll be obsolete in 8 mnths, I'm suggesting pick up the least expensive box you can get...as long as it's not a celeron or duron processorouy

on the other hand, if you're going to get a great box, and give her your old one, there is no better computor then dell, even if you build it yourself, with all the best components, and if you did that, the dell would be less expensive

hope I confused

Jewelzz,

Since you asked for recommendations I will tell you what I would get if I were going to build one for one of my kids going off to college.

The cheapest case I could find with at least a 300watt AMD approved power supply - $70
ASUS A7V266-E motherboard - ~$115
Athlon XP 1800+ cpu - ~$100
512 DDR PC2100 ram (not generic, need good quality) - ~$100
ATI Radeon 7000 video card - $40
3 1/2" floppy drive - $15
CD-RW drive - $50
Maxtor 40gig hard drive - $70
SoundBlaster Live Value (unless you get the onboard audio with the motherboard) - $25
And of course, mouse (optical), keyboard, monitor, speakers - however much you want to spend:)

This would not be a very cheap system but would last her through 4 years of college and would do anything that she might need it to do.

jw: Where did you find these prices? Some of the things are cheaper then the price I would pay at work.

Jewelzz, I'd recommend this lot.. :D

CPU: Intel Celeron or AMD XP1400, as you said, your not looking for rocket science so you dont need the latest n greatest.

Motherboard: Abit/Asus/AOpen/Epox are very good manufacturers.

Memory: 256 should be plenty for your daughters needs.

Harddisk:20Gb Seagate or Maxtor.

CD - nuff said!

Graphics card: Geforce Ti200, any manufacturer, as they can all use the generic nvidia drivers. Or ATI Radion.

urm.. think thats the lot, hope this gives you some starting points.

a good friend of mine built a top of the line sys with all bells and whistles (only 256 megs of ram though but it runs fine even under duress ) and he paid 700 bucks total...

thats probably the total budget you should aim for... um monitor separate...

g.luck jewellz

Originally posted by stuy_b
CPU: Intel Celeron or AMD XP1400, as you said, your not looking for rocket science so you dont need the latest n greatest.

no such thing as a XP1400 :D

i think you meant the XP1600 (running at a clock speed of 1400 MHz right?)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back