New Computer Advice

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Smoke286, May 16, 2004.

1. Smoke286

Smoke286 Smokeater

I just bought a new computer. I already have Norton Antivirus Pro 2003 but a disk came with my new computer for Norton Internet Security 2003. My question is do I have to uninstall NAV to install this? Is it worth doing?

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

well you don't need to uninstall antivirus. Just install nis2003 straight away.

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

You better check to see if that NIS2003 is a full version or just a trial version, as I've only seen trial versions included with motherboards that I've purchased.

4. Taggert_LOA

Taggert_LOA Modding Addict Political User

usually it's a 90 day trial and then it's hell to dump it after that.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Actually if you want advice. Get rid of the Norton products. They seem to be the worst anti-virus out there and on top of that have had multiple vulnerabilities identified that open your computer to attack. Norton has also been known to interfere with normal system operation.

AVG is a freeware antivirus that is widely recommended.

For firewall use zonealarm or blackice defender.

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

My advise is to stick a condom between the internet cable and the PC socket to block out all the bugs. :p

7. Smoke286

Smoke286 Smokeater

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned I have a router with a hardware firewall. I have used AVG before, while it seems to be a decent antivirus scanner I did pick up a couple of viruses that it then had trouble removing. Norton has worked flawlessly for me

8. LeeJend, recently there was a security flaw in BlackIce that allowed a compromised system to be remotely formatted in some manner - very big uproar about it, it turned out a lot of servers were using it and it put them in a very difficult situation.

ming, Im presuming you mean in a manner such as this...

Attached Files:

9. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

lol. :p
    yeah... I couldn't find that pic on my machine.