new comp problems

ruiner_066

OSNN Addict
hey guys...my friend just built a new comp (his first one) and hes having a few problems that i cant figure out. first off, here are the specs

Athlon XP 2200+
Nforce2 mobo
512 pc2700 ram
80gig 7200rpm hdd
geforce 4 ti4800SE

for one thing, when he starts up, the CPU speeds reads 1350 mhz...which is obviously too low for a 2200+, nowhere i can find in the bios is there a direct cpu speed adjustment, but since it is an nforce2, it lets you adjust the multiplier & bus speed, but it's already running at ~50 C, and i dont think that should have to be adjusted (right?)

ok...then when he runs a game or 3dmark, or anything, it will run for a few mins, then just close out the program.
he also has got this fatal error:

The instruction at '0x6f57829' references memory at '0x04c68315'. The memory could not be 'written'.
exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:6f578429

he also told me that windows has given him an error about not being able to write to memory, but i didnt see it & he couldnt remember the exact message.

any ideas or suggestions? thx in advance

To get the CPU to run at the proper speed he will need to adjust the front side bus to 133.

With a recent nforce 2 board he should not have a problem reading the 200's CPU speed rating and setting the multiplier but... What brand MB?

First CHECK THE HEATSINK IS ON RIGHT! 50C is kinda warm for taht low of a clock speed.

Next - Check the bios FSB is at 133. Choose auto detect on the ram and cpu multiplier if that's an option. if not:

FSB 133, make sure there are no MB jumpers for RAM or FSB.
RAM 333 mhz and CL 2.5 (to start) if no good try CL 2.0 a friends ASUS was quirky at 2.5 but ran well at 2.0 (don't ask me why I think its weird too)
If he has a RAM heatsink on the ram stick take it off (I had problems).

Make sure he has a bios version installed that supports the AMD 2200 processor.

If still buggy after all the above, he may have bad ram or a bad MB or a bad/too small Power supply.

yeh my friend. people say its their friends pc when they make a doodoo with it.:happy:

leejend- i'll get him to try those things..probably have to walk him through it for 2 hours =( thanks a lot...i thought 50C was pretty hot for that speed too, but HS seemed to be on right when i was over there...it's a volcano 9 with that coolmod thing. uh..what is CL? heh, i know most of this pretty well, but i've never had to adjust any of this after putting a comp together...
also, how do i check to see if BIOS supports 2200+?

to xp abuser...na, it actualy is my friends, i admit it when i screw up- which i've done plenty of =P

thx guys

if it's an nforce2 mobo, it support 2200+, trust me. but before you correct your fsb to 133mhz, figure out the heat problem. if you're getting 50c now, you could cause damage once it starts running at 1.8ghz.

and CL is referring to the CAS Latency on the memory. lower is better, but only if the memory can handle it.

hey taurus, i likey your "funniest page ever". it r teh funney! :D

If your friend has a crappy case with poor ventilation 50 c is possible even with a good heatsink and fan. Are there any case fans pushing and pulling and are they set up to push and pull in sync.

fixed =) i had him bring it over to my place & i screwed around with it for a while...he had fsb set to 166 for some reason...which is why it was so unstable..i guess it was only running at 100 though, cuz as soon as i turned it down to 133, his cpu speed went up to 1780, or whatever it is for a 2200+. everything works fine now, temp still around 50, but i guess that doesnt mater now that its at the right speed. thanks for the help guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back