New case

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by failurbydesign, Sep 14, 2008.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

I have been looking at a few cases over the past week, i dont need anything special just something with great cooling! I was looking at the Antec 300 or a cooler master 590! Any ideas? I also considered buying an empty G5 case and modding it to fit my current setup!

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

P-182 from Antec.

Silent and cool due to good air-flow.

3. failurbydesign

Thats a slick case, but i dont like the fact that i have to open a door to put in a cd/dvd! I would rather go for the 900...I do need that nice cooling, Damn Video card is near fire..its at 85c after playing RA3...normal is like 75c...

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

p182 -door is removable :)

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Yes but can it go back on after? I'm asking cause I have the P182.

6. failurbydesign

Do you love it? Can you post a pic or two of the rig with the side panel off?

7. Admiral Michael

Sure. I do loive the case altho the only thing I don't like is the size, didn't realise how big it was til I got home. I was looking for a mid size tower since my last case was a Thermaltake XaserIII.

Otherwise it's a great case.

Attached Files:

8. failurbydesign

Thanks Admiral! The case is looking better and better...right now i have a micro atx case..yuk..i got a new ps and video card, next is a case to help cool the card down and prob this Mb! Are the fans quiet?

9. Admiral Michael

There not bad, they all have switches for a high medium low speeds. What case do you have now?

10. failurbydesign

Nice! My pc is a gateway GM5485E...

11. Admiral Michael

Well since I don't do PC gaming anymore (that's what my 360 and Wii are for :p) I have no need for my huge desktop. I was thinking that my next desktop will be either a mini tower or a cube. I still find a desktop handy for doing grunt work like encoding videos and such.

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

The door is removable, of course it can go back on :) Just be carefull taking it off - I kicked mine and broke off one of the top hinge/peg things so it doesn't open all the way back anymore.

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Admiral.... i wouldn't consider the P182 to be big. Big outside, yes.... it's basically a standard full-tower. the inside i found to be rather cramped, not a whole lot of room to work with.... Modular power supplies basically being required. If you wanna see big..... look at something like the CoolerMaster Cosmos.... which is what i use.

[​IMG]

Not a very up-to-date picture... and i know it doesn't show everything such as the drive bays.... but you can see that there's a boatload of room to work with around the motherboard. Keep in mind that the video card i'm using is an 8800GTX. That card barely fit in my old Ultra Aluminus case.

14. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

If you are going for a full tower, I got an Antec Twelve Hundred recently. It was a tossup for me between the Twelve Hundred and the Cosmos. As long as you aren't lugging it around everywhere you go, it's a great case to work with, plus a huge number of 3.5 bays which is what I was after.

15. Sazar

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

yeah... i had a P180 once. returned it a few days later cause i couldn't stand how cramped everything was. Probably also didn't help that i was running SLI'd 7900GT's at the time.

off-topic: Why is it that my signature only shows the dragon pic.... but if i go to edit my signature, i have my specs listed as well... and it even shows the specs in the signature preview?

17. Sazar

Depends how much space it is taking up. There is a vertical pixel limit which you are obviously exceeding.

18. failurbydesign

Nice, any big difference from the p182 and the p180?

19. Sazar

It's better?

:)

Seriously, plenty of reviews online. The design was cleaned up and more space inside, I think, to move around.

20. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

yup just bought a 1200 myself.

I just setup a system for my bud just this past Saturday. used an ANTEC 900 case. Left all the fans at default and set the top 200mm fan at medium speed. The machine is as quiet as an ant tip toeing.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=Antec 900 case

Attached Files: