New Case/Power Supply

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shokpin, Apr 30, 2003.

1. shokpin

shokpin OSNN Junior Addict

heh, my roomates and their damn cases/power supplies

this time one of em bought a new case/ps off of ebay
    upon receiving it he swapped out his parts and put em in the new case
    i checked everything out and it looks good

plugged everything in, turned it on, hit power button

fans run for maybe .5 seconds and the thing stops...

hitting the power again results in nothing
    have to turn power off and back on in order for it to power for the .5 again.
  2. ntentz

ntentz FingerBanger

East Coast NJ
    Not to much to go wrong in an atx case, I had a similiar problem after installing one of those copper cpu shims it must have been to thick and not letting the heatsink touch the cpu it made my boards thermal protection shut it down same type of deal it shut off as fast as u hit the button almost. So try checkin the heatsink,or the connections from the case to the board......good thing i had thermal protection of that $6 shim could took out my cpu and or board ;/.

Chaintech 7NJS
    AMD XP 2200 mult x9
    1.5GB DDR 400
    Gainward Ti4200
    2xMaxtor ATA 133/7200 80GB
  3. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I am willing to bet that he didn't hook the main CPU fan back up right. Many MB's have auto-off's built into them. If they don't detect a fan then they power down. Make sure that the fan is plugged in right and to the correct header.
  4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Sounds too fast for a thermal turnoff. To short for the mobo to get a reading from the fan. Sounds more like an auto-shutdown in the PSU due to over current or something. May be a faulty PSU. May be something faulty connected to it. That's my guess anyway.