New 56k modem killed WinXP

F

fubar121

Just felt the need to put this out there to see what you all think.
So I decided to set up a fax machine on my commputer, because i was bored. So i go out and spend 50 bucks on the nice new modem that has in big bold lettering "Otpimized For WindowsXP"
So I open my box slide this little bugger into my MOBO and windows picks it up ands says to me hey look you got a generic modem install blah blah blah. So i go to update driver I pop the disk in cdrom updates it. Then from outa no where BLAM compter crashes. reboots by itself. Thinkin this strange i let it do its thing then once it fixes some lost chain bulls**t boots up I look at system setting and modem not working correctly is displayed. so i try to remove it for hardware list. Windows pops up this cute little window saying "The hardware you are trying to remove is needed to boot up." I clickcontinue anyway and boom computer will no longer boot up. So I try and try about 500 times to reboot and still nothin. Anyhoo I had to format my hDD and fresh install. Which really pisses me off. All over this so Called OPTIMIZED FOR WINDOWSXP modem. I just wondered if anyone else has seen so dumb ass things like this?

PS I just wanted to B*tch i think :)

yep I've seen it before

it was an onboard software modem that caused the problem

the solution was simple

disable the onboard modem in bios

the new hardware modem now works a treat

:cool:

See I dont have onboard modem. but thanks for the reply

Some boards think they have one (mine does). See if there's an option for it in BIOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back