Networking XP Pro with 98SE

G

Grifter

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with running a network using XP and 98SE while enabling ICS? Anyone have any problems with getting these two OSes to work together on one Network?

I'm thinking of building such a network. Should I just build a networking using XP on all my PCs? Or should I just mix the OSes up on one network?

Thanks.

I recently built a home network for a client where all of the following existed:

1 PC running Windows XP
1 PC running Windows ME
1 PC running Windows 2000
2 PC's running Windows 98SE

I didnt have many problems at all. Actually the biggest headache was the 2000 machine because it didnt want to share its folders but once that was worked out, there havent been any problems since. That was a couple of months ago.

By the way I used NetBEUI and I am happy with it....I know many people dont like it any more because it is outdated...oh well.

Tip: Use ICS from the WindowsXP CD on all machines.

Good Luck to you...;)

I always enable IPX/SPX and Netbeui along with TCP/IP and haven't had any trouble with my network.

I agree with all of the above :D

The only problem I had was sharing the XP machines printer.

IPX/SPX is novell-specific and NetBEUI is obsolete. These should both be used as last resorts only. If you add these protocols on top of TCP/IP, it does nothing but slow you down because your computer has to take the time to figure out how to connect to each other and may end up trying all three protocols. It ends up acting like people tend think QoS acts, eating up a percentage of bandwidth, only these actually do this where QoS does not.
/Lactic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back