Networking XP Pro with 98SE

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Grifter, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Grifter

Grifter Guest

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with running a network using XP and 98SE while enabling ICS? Anyone have any problems with getting these two OSes to work together on one Network?

I'm thinking of building such a network. Should I just build a networking using XP on all my PCs? Or should I just mix the OSes up on one network?

2. Black_Pride

Black_Pride OSNN Addict

I recently built a home network for a client where all of the following existed:

1 PC running Windows XP
    1 PC running Windows ME
    1 PC running Windows 2000
    2 PC's running Windows 98SE

I didnt have many problems at all. Actually the biggest headache was the 2000 machine because it didnt want to share its folders but once that was worked out, there havent been any problems since. That was a couple of months ago.

By the way I used NetBEUI and I am happy with it....I know many people dont like it any more because it is outdated...oh well.

Tip: Use ICS from the WindowsXP CD on all machines.

Good Luck to you...;)
  3. koko

koko Got Root?

Columbia, S.C.
  4. knuckles

knuckles Guest

I always enable IPX/SPX and Netbeui along with TCP/IP and haven't had any trouble with my network.
  5. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

I agree with all of the above :D

The only problem I had was sharing the XP machines printer.
  6. Lactic.Acid

Lactic.Acid Guest

IPX/SPX is novell-specific and NetBEUI is obsolete. These should both be used as last resorts only. If you add these protocols on top of TCP/IP, it does nothing but slow you down because your computer has to take the time to figure out how to connect to each other and may end up trying all three protocols. It ends up acting like people tend think QoS acts, eating up a percentage of bandwidth, only these actually do this where QoS does not.