Networking Xp Home and XP Pro.

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. I have a desktop, xp pro, and a notebook - wireless, xp home. They are bought connected to a router, belking 54Mbps. I had used Network Setup to setup both units to workgroup "sam". I had rebooted both of the unit but the desktop only sees itself and its shared files not any of the notebook shared files. Likewise the notebook only sees the "sam" but no other shares, even its shared folder. i had already turned off both firewalls. What could be wrong? Thanks.

Have you tried accessing the computer thru its name?

eg: Start>Run> //computername or //compiter's ip
(//michael) (//192.168.0.101)

Make sure the firewalls are OFF (for a test) or set up to allow LAN access. This includes the Windows built in firewall that starting in SP2 turns itself on if no other software firewalls are present.

I've had particular troubles with Zonealarm ignoring OFF commands. I just transfered a file from my comp to the wifes working off her machine but I can not see her computer (uses zonealarm) on the network from mine.

As another option try logging into both machines under the same user account. It shouldn't be required but this is MS we're talking about.

I got it. I had opened the firewall software and located an option where you get to input allowed IP addresses and that's what I did for the notebook and the desktop. It worked. Thank you for the info. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back