Networking query

Can it be done?!?

• No...just no...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scooter

Random Apple Dude
Ok. Whilst I am no way a "n00b" when it comes to networking, I have come across a situation that has had me bemused and confuddeled for some time now...

The situation is this...

My brother has a PC running (that god awful) Windows XP (his choice, I'll beat up him again later for it ;) ). It has in, pretty much your bog standard 56K dialup model and 10/100 NIC.

I'm on my sexy "run of the mill" "straight off the shelf" 17" iMac running OS X / Panther.

105551501_t.jpg
A Random picture to break up the text!!!

What I've been wanting to do is create a direct cable connection between my 56K dialup modem an my brothers 56K dialup modem to allow him to access the internet (broadband) thru my computer, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it :rolleyes:

Now, I know what you're going to say ... or atleast I'm sure most if not all will say something like "Why not just use CAT5 cable etc with a router modem, etc, etc, etc" ... well... heres the twist... I have installed (very successfully - no major problems since I installed it 2 years ago) an ethernet LAN in the house with all neccesarry (sp?) bits and bobs (sorry.. its 9am... words fail me :p )

But then this ...challenge ... came about... and I'm either looking for a firm "It can't be done!" or a solution... and I'm out of ideas .... maybes I'm just missing something obvious... :rolleyes:

Here.. have another random picture...
webcam_t.jpg

I dont know if this can be done

Bit I can give you a firm answer !

Your Mad :p :D

You'd need to run a PPP Server on the mac, which is really not worth it as your brother will only get 56k of analog speed.

I know it's easy enough to set-up the PPP server on Windows 2000, however I've not yet seen an application or guide on how to do it for a Mac.

yeah, he would be accessing the internet at dialup speeds...and i'm not a mac person, so i don't know of any way to get a PPP server up and running. you'd be better off with ethernet.

cpugeniusmv said:
yeah, he would be accessing the internet at dialup speeds...

Yeah, I knew that if I could get it up and running, then he would be at dialup speeds - cause well.. can't go faster than the modem :p

Scooter said:
Now, I know what you're going to say ... or atleast I'm sure most if not all will say something like "Why not just use CAT5 cable etc with a router modem, etc, etc, etc" ... well... heres the twist... I have installed (very successfully - no major problems since I installed it 2 years ago) an ethernet LAN in the house with all neccesarry (sp?) bits and bobs (sorry.. its 9am... words fail me :p )
I don't see the problem... If you do have a LAN, why not use it? Where's the twist? :confused:

Zedric said:
I don't see the problem... If you do have a LAN, why not use it? Where's the twist? :confused:

The twist is that its a challenge since ... well... I'm bored 'n' stuff :p I wanna see if I can do it and explore the topic :D

Speedy : I searched around for topics on that and found nothing - so thanks - am going to settle down with a coffee and read up :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back