Networking query

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by Scooter, Jul 11, 2004.

?
  1. Yes! OHH YES It can be done!!

100.0%
  2. No...just no...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

Ok. Whilst I am no way a "n00b" when it comes to networking, I have come across a situation that has had me bemused and confuddeled for some time now...

The situation is this...

My brother has a PC running (that god awful) Windows XP (his choice, I'll beat up him again later for it ;) ). It has in, pretty much your bog standard 56K dialup model and 10/100 NIC.

I'm on my sexy "run of the mill" "straight off the shelf" 17" iMac running OS X / Panther.

[​IMG] A Random picture to break up the text!!!

What I've been wanting to do is create a direct cable connection between my 56K dialup modem an my brothers 56K dialup modem to allow him to access the internet (broadband) thru my computer, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it :rolleyes:

Now, I know what you're going to say ... or atleast I'm sure most if not all will say something like "Why not just use CAT5 cable etc with a router modem, etc, etc, etc" ... well... heres the twist... I have installed (very successfully - no major problems since I installed it 2 years ago) an ethernet LAN in the house with all neccesarry (sp?) bits and bobs (sorry.. its 9am... words fail me :p )

But then this ...challenge ... came about... and I'm either looking for a firm "It can't be done!" or a solution... and I'm out of ideas .... maybes I'm just missing something obvious... :rolleyes:

Here.. have another random picture... [​IMG]

2. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

I dont know if this can be done

Bit I can give you a firm answer !

Your Mad :p :D

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

You'd need to run a PPP Server on the mac, which is really not worth it as your brother will only get 56k of analog speed.

I know it's easy enough to set-up the PPP server on Windows 2000, however I've not yet seen an application or guide on how to do it for a Mac.

4. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

yeah, he would be accessing the internet at dialup speeds...and i'm not a mac person, so i don't know of any way to get a PPP server up and running. you'd be better off with ethernet.

5. Scooter

Yeah, I knew that if I could get it up and running, then he would be at dialup speeds - cause well.. can't go faster than the modem :p

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I don't see the problem... If you do have a LAN, why not use it? Where's the twist? :confused:

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

8. Scooter

The twist is that its a challenge since ... well... I'm bored 'n' stuff :p I wanna see if I can do it and explore the topic :D

Speedy : I searched around for topics on that and found nothing - so thanks - am going to settle down with a coffee and read up :)

9. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Windows XP? :pUke: