network

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by trackrat, Mar 6, 2004.

1. trackrat

trackrat Birmingham UK

Hi, I have 2 computers networked through a D-Link router, I can access the intanet on both but cannot get them to see each other even though I followed the set up instructions to the letter. Both are running XP home.
    I need to get access to the printer and the shared files.

2. vonschlieffen

vonschlieffen Tsar

Have you run the Network Setup Wizard? You can reach it by opening up "My Network Places" and selecting "Setup Home Network" or something like that. Try that, and if that doesn't work, make sure that you have the right network protocols installed on each machine (my laptop was missing NetBios, causing me to pull my hair out for a while) All pcs have to be using the same workgroup, by the way, which you can set when you run the wizard, I don't think it matters what you use, as long as it is the same for all of your network computers.

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

don't run the networking wizard, it usually screws things up.

Diasble the XP firewall, give the computers unique names, they do not have to be in the same workgroup, but makes things easier. Make sure you Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the advanced TCP configuration. That is it. Assigning static IP's should also make things easier. Check connectivity with pings.

4. trackrat

trackrat Birmingham UK

j79zlr, thanks for that reply, but as I have never done this before can you give me some simple instructions to follow. As you said the network wizard did not do the job.
    Regards Alan

5. trackrat

trackrat Birmingham UK

6. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

do not bump threads please...

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

what do you mean by 'bump' threads?

8. Graebob

Graebob Generally Random

adding an irrelevant reply to a thread to bring it back to the "new posts" area of the forum

9. trackrat

trackrat Birmingham UK

Apology

You have my apologies PseudoKiller, I had no idea I was in the wrong but I will now for future reference.
    Regards Alan