Network speed problem.... need help

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by psx2000, Aug 1, 2003.

1. psx2000

psx2000 Guest

Ok in hawaii I had Cable service for internet use.

My max download speed could never go past 300KBS. If I made 2 downloads from a T-1 it would just split in half.

Now I figured it was just hawaii so when I moved to Southern California ( Chino Hills area) I attempted again to get Broad Band cable service.

I choose ADELPHIA and noticed the exact same problem. The max download I have is 300kbs.

I called my provider up asking if there is anything I can do about it and they said that maybe network traffic etc.... . To me personally I doubt this because its rather odd its like that 24/7 here and in Hawaii.

Now on to my question...

My friend thinks because I have NORTON FIREWALL 2003 and SYSTEM WORKS 2003 that one of my settings might have capped out my connections allowed or max bandwidth .

Could that be possible? If so where would I look to solve this problem? Any other things I can check to help solve this band width issue?

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

You cable provider caps your max download speed. If you download 2 things at once you will not go over 300Kbps. If you download 4 things at once I am sure that you will only get 75Kbps for each. It is like that with almost every provider. The only way to get faster speeds is by buying a pro service of some kind, if they offer it. Sorry bud.

3. psx2000

psx2000 Guest

here is the funny thing

I also have DSL buisnuess service

I pay $80 a month for this.

my Dl is supposed to be 1.5 down and upload is 365 or something.

The most I ever get on downloads is around 180 KBS and uploads around 20 kbs.

Anyone know how much a T-1 provider goes for if the speed is really important to me? I live in the SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA area now. So I am willing to pay $ for a T-1 if anyone can recomend me one.

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I used Norton nternet eSecurity 2003 and noticed a speed decrease. I believe that it acts like a proxy server, monitoring incoming and outgoing traffic andmaybe be the cause.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Sounds to me like you're confusing bits and bytes. The specification for your connection is 1.5 Mbit/s down, 384 kbit/s up. That will enable you to download in 1500/8 ~= 190 kbyte/s. So 180 kbyte/s is pretty good.