Network Setup - Step by Step

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by prinsipe, Sep 16, 2004.

1. prinsipe

prinsipe Not Too eXPerienced

Im setting up a network, could someone show me a step by step instruction on how to set one up. I have WinXp Pro and Win2k3 Enterprise already, 1 PC is installed with Win2k3 and 4 PCs installed with XP. Dont Know how to configure please help.... thanks in advance.............

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

PracticallyNetworked has some step-by-step guides on how to set up a network.

You have two basic options to choose from:
    1) Use the Win2k3 machine as an ICS host. This machine will be connected to your broadband modem, and will remain always on. This machine and all the others will be connected to a switch, and the XP machines will access the internet connection through the Win2k3 server
    2) Use a router: All machines are connected to the router. No system needs to be always-on and you don't need to set up ICS.

I'd recommend going with option #2. Wired routers, especially, are very inexpensive these days, and it's less of a hassle to get such a setup working rather than an ICS based one.

3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I would suggest a router also. DHCP like netryder mentioned in his number one is a pain. What I did with mine is hook them all up to a router, assign static ip's to them, put them all in the same network group, and reboot them. It was automatically done ..

Once you do that you can check the router config in attched devices to see if they are all there. The one thing you will have to remember is that if you are using a software firewall you will have to configure it ...

4. jdn

jdn I'm trying

Router all the way.
    Go wireless if you can swing the slight upcharge in cost

5. prinsipe

prinsipe Not Too eXPerienced

Thanks for the help, but what happened is that the PCs have the same privilages, it appears that it is a peer2peer network, what I would like to happen is to control the the other PCs from one computer (being the one installed with win2k3)., and the XPs being the clients, I would like to restrict the clients from Installing software, prevent them from accessing taskbar, system files, my computer and the likes,........

hope you can help me with this one, thanks...........a lot....

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Just add user accounts to each client and give the ones you want axx to it limited priveledges, and you the admin. Doing that will make it where only the admin (you) can install things and make changes ..