Network Setup Help

LeeJend said:
Right, I don't think B supports WPA, it's part of the G standard so the B computer won't eb able to access a WPA setup router.

I'd recommend picking up a G adapter for $10-15 on sale this weekend. Better signal strength, faster connection, and better encryption protocol.

Plan B is to go back and try and get the WEP running. But that sounds too much like work for a holiday weekend.

Ok thanks LeeJend you're the man with that WPA protocol. I appreciate your seggestions. I will prolly have to pick up one of these G Adapters for the other computer. I believe this might be my last question. If i want to send the Internet over to the garage for a LAN Party all i need is an Access Point right? Also how will that work? Will I have to setup something within the Wireless Routers or its just a get out of the box and it will work kind of thing? Thanks again fellas.

You need a wireless bridge for that, it converts wireless to ethernet. I believe some routers have such a mode but dont quote me.

Btw, have you tried the linksys wireless management utility with the 802.11b card?

Last edited:
havent attempted to yet but will attempt to pretty soon maybe later today since i aint doing nothing. Also im now stuck with a gf since last night so i made my move and told her im ready for the next step so i think im now stuck with a gf =P. Shes kool though so we will see how this coaster rides :D. Alright guys i will test the Linksys Wireless Management stuff later today ok. Laterz

Correct. All you need is an access point. Some wireless routers can do that job too. Turn off DHCP in the wireless router and plug it into a port on your existing wired router.

I use my Dlink WGR614 (wireless) as an access point pligged into my BEFSR41 (ancient wired). I have WPA encryption installed.

uh huuuuuuuuuuh ok ill have to make some research on my own to see what it is that i need to purchase in order for me to bridge this mess up.

Well I have attempted to use the Linksys Wireless Management Client but it is not working its most likely because B Clients cannot perform correctly with the WPA enable like LeeJend has mentioned before. It seemed like it wanted to connect just fine but it would drop twice and then Windows Wireless Management would say that there are available Wireless Points to access. Oh well its ok ill prolly purchase a seperate thing for my lil sis's laptop so its no sweat. What do those suckers go for? I'll take a look into it but if anyone is here right now please let me know.

Thanks for helping me out with this Wireless mess guys so far its working fine just no wireless clients to have the wireless thing running even though it is enabled right now. Can i setup a computer to be on a static IP within the DHCP range? because i want to setup a server up for my LAN so computers can store stuff onto the server. Like i said before guys thanks a lot for all the help you have provided.

Laterz

On the computer with thhe wireless. Go into the Network connections properties and at the bottom there is a Box for Notify me When this Connection has limited or no Connectivity, Uncheck that box. It can keep the computer from pulling an IP. That is if the machine is a WinXP SP2 Box.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back