Network Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Dubbin1, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

I'll start off telling you how I have my network setup. I have XP on my desktop and ME on my laptop. The desktop has 2 NIC cards and they are connected with a crossover cable (no hub or router). Heres the problem. I can connect without any problems from the laptop to the desktop but I cant connect to the laptop at all. The ICS and printer sharing works fine. If I click on any of the shared folders I get an error messages that says its not accessible. If I click on view workgroup computers I just get a beep and nothing else. As I said all this works fine on the laptop. I have tried running the network setup again and that didn't do anything. I have no idea what to do next :(

I almost forgot to mention that this setup has been working until today.

2. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

ive never gotten that network setup disk to work. i had to go on all the computers and manually install the netbui ipx and file and print sharing on all the computers

3. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

I found my problem. I forgot that I shut off workstation in the services to speed up my startup. Takes forever before I can start my DSL or browse my network.

4. open_source

open_source Guest

There is no need for NetBEUI on your computer. I highly recommend not installing it. It is slow and outdated. You also do not need IPX unless you are running one of the few games that still need this for network gaming or you are on an older Novell network.

5. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

well that do i need? my network is running way to slow

6. open_source

open_source Guest

All that is needed is TCP/IP. Would need to know more about the network.

7. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

Its a small home network... 3 computers and im using a speedstream 4 port router.

8. open_source

open_source Guest

degredation in the speed can be a result from needing updated drivers to having you cabling too close to electrical sources. Just telling how many computers you have is of no help.

Update all your NIC drivers
    Make sure the cabling is quality cable.
    Check for an update for your router.
    Run an up-to-date virus scan.
    Make sure the cable is not run near electrical sources.
    etc...