NetGear WPN311 support

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I've just made my first XP Pro 64 install on a new rig and I knew I might have driver issues... this build is not cabled so I got the NetGear Rangemaster WPN311 PCI card for wifi and, naturally, this is one of the first ones I'd like to get working- since it will naturally make everything more convenient for sorting out other drivers like the onboard sound which does not work out of the box.

I know it's kinda lazy, but I thought I would just post here incase anyone else running XP 64 happens to have the same card and has resolved the issue.

I guess it's a long shot, but if anyone can post that would be great - even if it is in a more general sense than linking for the specific solution....

Just thought I'd post back for others reference that althouygh i found qa driver that was 64 bit and would install for the Atheros chipset, it did not work with this card and Netgear Rangemaster router combo :dead:

So I'm resolving the matter with a regular XP Pro install....

OK someone sent me email with a link to the DriversGuide Atheros generic 64 bit chipset drivers..... for which thank you :up:

Just wanted to post here though that I had previously downloaded and tried to install that driver and although it would install and enable device manager to recognise the device fine it did not enable me to use it. I think maybe the netgear proprietary protocol for rangemaster demands the actual netgear driver/management software. But if you know better and then post back here.... (this post copied to email reply also).

Mainframeguy said:
So I'm resolving the matter with a regular XP Pro install....
It's a shame when that ends up being the only remaining alternative. =\
Fortunately, all my hardware was compatible with XP x64 right from the get-go. It seems like not too many people are in that situation yet though.

I hope the pace of x64 driver/software development picks up when Vista is released. There are a number of neat security features for preventing rootkits and buffer overflows that are only making it into the x64 build, but without solid support from ISVs/IHVs, it's going to be difficult for it to gain widespread adoption. Fortunately, things are a lot better now than they were back when XP x64 was just released, so there's still hope.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back