Netgear DG834 drop outs

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Geffy, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I currently have a Netgear DG834 which keeps on dropping out every now and then, it doesnt seem to affect things like IRC and so on, but it does hit MSN and Skype and things like that.
    I have rebooted it, and so on, it has the lastest firmware and everything like that I have checked the MTU size with my ISP and thats all fine. Any other recommendations would be great for how to sort this out.

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

How long have you had the router?
    I think all dsl products from Netgear are affected by the same problem you are having.
    My DG814 cuts me off whether I'm using the net or not. It could be a heat/ventilation issue as I've noticed regular cut offs particularly when I've been downloading at full throttle for prolonged periods. By sticking a fan over it, I've seen a reduction in cut offs.

3. Geffy

ah right, that could be it, i wonder if I take the firewalling load off it (thinking of adding a m0n0wall to the network) would that help it at all??

Or should I invalidate the warranty and pop it open and slap some heatsinks to it :p

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I have no idea if that'll work or not. I'm coping with having to reset my DG814 once or twice a month at present. lol. (somtimes less)

5. Geffy

one way to find out as they say :p

6. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

I have a Netgear DG834 and i don't have any problems with it :)

Double check you have the latest firmware version as there was known problems with MSN on some versions

7. Geffy

yep its the latest version, downloaded the source code, havent looked at it yet, but I doubt I will be able to make heads or tails of it, but you never know :p