Net Speeds to Increase 1,600%

themafia.69 said:
you do know that he only reason it starts high, is because it actually starts downloading right away, even when its asking u should it save the file? then it just plays a lil bit of catch up to where it should be so it has to start off at a high speed

I know that, but I said it stayed at 700-745kb/sec for the entire download which lasted less than 2 minutes, once the speed stopped dropping. I know it always starts higher... it doesn't have enough data to give an accurate average at the beginning...

It's no small file either, it's a 122Mb file!

dont worry dude i know what u said, i just said that fyi

Not one person has mentioned that a T1 is full duplex as opposed to cable which is half duplex. What this means is that with a T1 you can upload and download at 1.544Mbps at the same time. Try maxing your upload with cable, and then try to view a webpage. :) You will see the response time is VERY long and your speed is reduced. Your ping speeds with T1 are usually very quick too.

that is true Un, I forgot to mention that .. I am wondering if Fios is is duplex or not .. It probably won't be. In that case the speeds might be good, but the sharing might be like regular broadband ..

Cable is Full Duplex too. However most cable companies have it configured asynchronously. sO that you donwload faster then you upload. THe slow down you get when you max your upload is just that. You maxed your uplod so you cant get any more data up to do the other things you want.

Repsonse time is just as fast as always. Request time hits the roof :) Ask you cable co for pricing on getting STM cable and see what they say :p

yeah..... don't even HAVE to max out your upload speed to see a drop in browsing speed. i usually cap anything that i upload with at like 20kb/s, which still let's me browse around at a relatively nice pace. if i let it on unlimited..... it winds up pumpin out up to like 50-60kb/s i think..... and then it's practically to a standstill. Think it also has to do with the idea of data/packet exchange between the website you are trying to view and your computer, since it takes longer to send when 80% of your upload bandwidth is taken. wish my ISP would start bumping our damn upload bandwidth. went from 512K to 3Mbps down in like 1 to 1.5 years i think...... and the upload BW stayed around 256... if it's even that. it might even be 128. not sure. only had a slight bump in price though since we were an existing customer when they did the upgrades. hopefully they bump it up higher soon.

It's also when you run into T3 and ATM lines that you hit the big numbers...... there's a bunch of others too..... but can't think of them off the top of my head.

LordOfLA said:
Cable is Full Duplex too. However most cable companies have it configured asynchronously. sO that you donwload faster then you upload. THe slow down you get when you max your upload is just that. You maxed your uplod so you cant get any more data up to do the other things you want.

Repsonse time is just as fast as always. Request time hits the roof :) Ask you cable co for pricing on getting STM cable and see what they say :p

Cable may be capable of full duplex, but it is not offered in full duplex. asynchronous simply means that the upload and download speeds are not the same, it has nothing to do with duplex.

duplex and trasnfer rates are completey different things.

duplex is a measure ment of how many different ways data can go at once.

Simplex = Data can only travel in one direction down a desgnated cable, this is how fibre optics work. THere is a transmit cable and a recieve cable.

Half duplex = data can travel both ways down the same cable, however it can only go in one direction at a time this is usually a limitation or manual setting of a transceiver device.

Full Duplex = data can be transmitted and recieved simultaneously, this is how all cat5/coaxial/aui networks work. Your Cable/DSL are also operating like this. If it was in half duplex you would not be able to download and upload at the speeds offered by the cable/dsl company.

Asynchronus Transfer mode is just that. A variation in the speed at which data is transmited and recieved. In the caseof domestic broadband connectivity this means you download faster than you upload. It is not a baring on whther your cable/dsl is full duplex or not. All broadband connections are full duplex.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back